A $1 MILLION reward has been announced in a bid to solve the case of the death of 11-month-old Dylan Robert James Lindsay in Port Lincoln in 2004.
Dylan Lindsay was found dead at a property in Ellen Street on Sunday, March 28, 2004.
Investigators say he was found with visible abdominal injuries after a serious assault.
Someone attempted to disguise his injuries by using a texta to cover the bruising and marks.
Dylan’s death is being reviewed by investigators from the Major Crime Investigation Branch as part of Operation Persist.
The long-running cold case operation uses a range of strategies, including rewards, targeting prison inmates for information, detailed reviews of the evidence, new technology and seeking assistance from members of the public to resolve outstanding murder and missing persons cases.
New rewards were announced by the state government on Sunday in connection with 10 unsolved cases, including the investigation into the death of Dylan Lindsay 13 years ago.
“This is a heinous crime and somebody should be held responsible for taking the life of this child in a severe assault,” Detective Brevet Sergeant Mathew Bengel said.
“We did a lot of work with the texta pens we found in the house – fingerprints and DNA testing and so forth.
“We certainly believe we have identified the texta used but we’re unable to determine who drew on him.
“It certainly appeared that it was designed to hide the bruising on the lower and upper abdomen.”
Along with his older sister, Dylan had been left in the care of friends at the Ellen Street property by their mother who was struggling with drug and alcohol issues at the time.
Police said there were three other children at the house that night and varying reports of the movements of adults and children, with at least one report of loud yelling by a man in the area of the property early on Sunday morning.
“About 8am one of the adults approached the other and said ‘there’s something wrong with Dylan’ – they then run to neighbours because they don’t have a phone, and seek assistance.” Detective Brevet Sergeant Bengel said.
Two people were arrested in May 2004 in connection with Dylan’s death but the case was later dropped for lack of evidence.
Officer in charge of Major Crime Detective Superintendent Des Bray welcomed the reward.
“We know that a range of factors can influence someone’s decision to speak out about an unsolved crime and the passage of time does not diminish the grief of families connected with these cases,” he said.
“We have had success with this operation which is revisiting some of the state’s toughest cold cases and we hope that the offer of these rewards may be another reason for someone to examine their conscience and consider coming forward with vital information.”
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report online at crimestopperssa.com.au/