Go long, create opportunities and put the pressure on; the 2016 MAC SA Country Football Championships have arrived at Port Lincoln.
The event – held on July 9-10 – sees some of regional South Australia’s best football players play each other off in a zone-by-zone war.
Six zones are presented, which comprise of players from leagues across the state:
- Southern Districts: Southern, Great Southern
- Murray South East: River Murray, Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara, Mid South East, Western Border
- Western: Far West, Mid West, Great Flinders, Eastern Eyre, Port Lincoln, Kangaroo Island
- Eastern: Riverland, Hills, Mallee
- Central: Yorke Peninsula, North Eastern, Adelaide Plains, Barossa Light & Gawler
- Northern: Broken Hill, Far North, Northern Areas, Spencer Gulf, Whyalla
The zones will play each other in qualifying matches on Saturday, and finals will be held on Sunday.
On top of this, players from each zone will be scouted and selected to create a State Country team. That group will play off the Western Australia State Country team at Adelaide Oval in late July.
A separate team will be named Team of the Championships, which will play off a metropolitan team at Easter 2017.