Teakle Auto Sprint earns praise from racers and racegoers \ have your say


The future looks bright for the Teakle Auto Sprint with positive feedback coming from racers and racegoers at the inaugural event.

Early estimates of crowd numbers were 3500 through the gates on Saturday and 5500 on Sunday to see 66 cars take to the streets of Port Lincoln.

A shorter track incorporating Tasman Terrace, King Street and Eyre Street was used on Saturday with a longer track including Porter Street and Railway Place used on Sunday.

Mark Nancarrow commentated the event alongside local radio personality Ian Beeby and said having done a lot of motorsport events it was surprising to see how good this first event went.

“It’s gone to a flying start,” he said.

“I’d be glad to come back, it’s been a marvelous weekend.”

Drivers of varied backgrounds from all across South Australia and Australia had nothing but good things to say about the track and the event as a whole.

Father and son entrants John and Henry Beasley from Adelaide finished third and fifth respectively and the pair praised the event’s organisation and community involvement.

“Port Lincoln has embraced it, all the service crews, all the people that they help out, all the volunteers, they just bend over backwards,” John Beasley said.

Major sponsor Peter Teakle, who has pledged his support for three years, received a round of applause from the crowd on Sunday as he did two exhibition laps in his 2009 Ferrari Scuderia.

Mr Teakle said the support he had seen from the Port Lincoln community had been great.

“It’s the best thing I’ve done outside of business.”

Mr Teakle said he had never seen Port Lincoln so busy at Easter time.

Following racing on Sunday drivers, crews and those involved in the event gathered at the Nautilus Theatre for a dinner and awards presentation.

One of the organisers Tony Rodda said the support from everyone involved made the event happen.

“I’m amazed that we had so much response and so good a response from the competitors and the public about the event,” he said.

He said there was great support to solve any issues that arose, including Harder Transport and Dennis Transport helping to finish the fencing for Sunday.

Mr Rodda said there would be a debrief on every aspect of the event and once everyone was happy they would move on to planning for next year.

An incident on Saturday saw one vehicle have an issue in the form up area, causing it to spin out into the pit fence but all protocols were followed and safety was maintained.



Discuss "Praise for first Auto Sprint | POLL"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.