Marble Range seal second spot

PRESSURE: Marble Range's Lance Appleby tries to get his kick away while Lincoln South's Levi McDonald applies pressure.

PRESSURE: Marble Range's Lance Appleby tries to get his kick away while Lincoln South's Levi McDonald applies pressure.

Marble Range 7-13 (55) def Lincoln South 6-6 (42)

LINCOLN South hosted Marble Range at Centenary Oval for round four in a battle for second spot on the ladder.

Marble Range went in as favourites despite being run over the previous week by the undefeated Mallee Park while Lincoln South were coming off a convincing 12-goal win against bottom side Boston.

The start of the match was very competitive in close, but in the last 10 minutes of the first quarter the visitors outnumbered South around the contest. This was pivotal in Marble Range’s forward 50 entries which outnumbered the Eagles entries two to one through this period.

This enabled the Ranges to pepper the scoreboard and take a 16-point lead into the first break. There were a few wasted chances here from Marble Range but eight scoring shots to two was a reflection of the work rate between the two sides.

In the second quarter Marble Range continued to get their hands on the footy first and swarm the Eagles when they did not have it. They played the conditions well being direct with their ball use and finding multiple avenues to goal.

Souths were not terrible through this quarter and the scoreboard did not do them justice, but despite their efforts the board still read 7-9 (51) to 2-3 (15) which was a match winning lead as the rain started falling from the sky.

There certainly was not any champagne footy after half time, as the game became a real arm wrestle and the physical nature of things picked up as it quite often does in the wet.

There were a lot of stoppages and Lincoln South’s ability to grind away against the grain showed some real character.

They really concentrated on winning that 50/50 ball and surged forward at all cost. Although only kicking two goals, they were able to keep Marble Range goalless.

The arm wrestle continued in the final quarter and the Eagles continued to draw closer and closer but the gap was too great and the Rangers held on to win by 13 points despite not kicking a goal after half time. 

That is two weeks in a row that Marble Range has not gone on with their early form but this win shows that they are the second best side so far and will take some beating throughout the year.

Zac Calderwood took an absolute hanger that would have rivalled Tony Modras mark in the 90s, Tynan Keeley’s great form continues despite only kicking the 1 goal and young ruckman Kale Olds was excellent in the ruck.

For Lincoln South, Chris Minns was a standout along with Pat Browne and Paul White who just gives his all.


Discuss "Rangers stake a claim to top two"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.