Tumby takes 14-goal win

BLUES VICTORY: Lock's Andrew Heath put pressure on Tumby Bay's Dale Gericke. Picture: Meryl Weetra
BLUES VICTORY: Lock's Andrew Heath put pressure on Tumby Bay's Dale Gericke. Picture: Meryl Weetra

Great Flinders football

Lock 8-5 lost to Tumby Bay 21-11

A disappointing last quarter by the Lock Roos allowed the Tumby Bay Blues to run out 14-goal winners.

With injuries including three major midfielders the Roos were facing an uphill battle whilst the Blues were boosted with the return of James and Hind.

A very competitive first quarter was nearly half gone before a major was recorded and set the tone for a competitive day on the park.

It was the running Rees that found the big sticks but a great run from full back by Beard kicking to Hetzel in the centre and onto Northcott saw the Roos reply within minutes.

Another minute and another goal saw the Roos on a roll.

Cave was staunch in defence along with Richardson (clocking up his 100th) and Edmonds, with Kelly versus Kelly shaping up to be a real arm wrestle at the other end.

Murphy and Lawrie both opened their accounts late into the quarter for the Blues and young Siebert gathered the ball skidding along the ground and headed for home with no mistake for the Roos.

At 3-4 to 3-2 the score was reflective of the play. 

Most of the Lock midfield went missing during this quarter with youngsters Wright and Pearce doing the lion’s share.

Hind, Walker and Rees were running a marathon, which continually put the stern Roo defence under pressure.

Kelly, Heath and Beard were solid but continually under pressure.

Cave, Jacobs and Lawrie were all assists when clearing their defence and James continued to be a presence over the ground.

Lack of discipline saw Tumby rewarded with two goals and Calverley’s late goal saw the Blues at 9-8 to the Roos 4-2 at the long break.

The Roos then came out and played their best quarter of footy for the day – outscoring their opposition.

Led again by Wright and Pearce and aided by 14-year-old Crosby in his first game, the Roos had a quick goal followed by a second through the great work of L. Heath to Northcott.

Hind and Rees were providing plenty of drive and a turnover from a kick out saw Lawrie make no mistake with James repeating the feat.

Good defensive play saw the ball into Northcott’s hands who made no mistake and once again Siebert was able slip out the back of the pack to grab a rolling ball and kick truly.

The Siebert/Walker and Kelly/Kelly tussles were champagne football.

Murphy marked on the siren and made no mistake to bring the Blues to 12-9 to the Roos 8-4.

The Roos coach was happy with their competitive quarter while the Blues coach laid his expectations on the line.

Sadly, this is where the Roos’ wheels fell off and the Blues adhered to their team strategy.

The Roos had goalless quarter and allowed the Blues to add nine majors.

Both sides were nursing injuries at this stage but the Blues had legs left and were winning more of the contested marks.

Rees, Lawrie, Jacobs and Hind still had plenty of run with Kelly and Walker having their best quarter.

At the coal face Murphy bagged eight for the day.

The Lock defenders in Beard, Kelly and Heath gave another quarter of sterling work with Wright and Pearce providing run through the midfield.

​A special mention to first gamer Crosby who did not shrink from contests all day and kicked his first A grade goal.

We will see a lot of this talented youngster in the future.