Peckers, Souths earn wins

Port Lincoln football

THE latest round in the Port Lincoln Football League saw some exciting results.

Mallee Park remain unbeaten against a very determined Marble Range while Lincoln South got back into the winner’s column against Boston.

Mallee Park 13-15 (93) def Marble Range 11-6 (72)

Mallee Park continued their dominance over the competition following their 21-point win against Marble Range.

Predicted to be the match of the round Mallee Park took on Marble Range at Wangary Oval.

The match was set to be played with high intensity, showcasing great skills and physicality by both teams.

Rangers played in heritage guernseys marking the club’s 60 year reunion and 10 years since their last A grade premiership.

The match began with both teams displaying hard attack and desperation for possession of the ball.

For the first 10 minutes Rangers were maintaining possession and executing short kicks with B. Kay and C. Pilgrim getting their hands on the ball early.

However the Peckers were soon to reply with B. Johncock kicking the first of the day.

K. Bilney Jnr was presenting relentless pressure in the contest laying various tackles and setting up G. Johncock to convert Peckers’ second goal.

Rangers were still right in the contest kicking their first of the match through T. Keely on the brink of quarter time.

Mallee Park led 3-1 (19) to 1-1 (7) at quarter time.

Rangers came out firing in the second term, ball magnets L. Appleby and T. George were giving the forwards great delivery resulting in B. Kay and T. Keeley kicking two straight goals to level the scores.

Both team’s ruckmen K. Olds and O. Carter were giving the midfielders first use of the footy.

Mallee’s P. Lindsey was becoming a handful for Rangers around the ground using his speed and skill to deliver to players up forward resulting in Peckers fourh goal through R. Carbine.

Rangers had multiple opportunities to convert up forward but were shut down by Pecker’s clinical rebounding defence through J. Roderick and J. Miller.

Peckers finished the second term on top kicking two goals through D. Miller and B. Johncock, Mallee Park led 6-2 (38) to 3-6 (24) at half time.

The third term saw the match’s intensity rise with players showing desperation for victory.

Rangershad repeated forward line entries within the first five minutes.

M. Marshall took advantage crumbing the pack with great skill to convert, bringing the margin back to eight points but once again P. Lindsey showed dominance in the midfield delivering to J. Dudley to kick his first of the day.

Rangers young gun J. Casanova was prominent in the forward 50 skilfully and efficiently delivering to T. Keeley to kick his fourth goal of the match.

Even with the tireless defensive efforts of L. Shaw and B. Laube, Peckers continued to use their attacking firepower to finish the quarter kicking two consecutive goals through R. Carbine and P. Lindsey to lead 9-9 (63) to 6-6 (42).

The fourth term was the turning point of the match and saw Peckers take control of possession and limiting Ranger’s scoring opportunities.

Through Pecker’s control and kicking efficiency B. Johncock was able to kick his third goal bringing the margin out to 24 points.

Rangers continued to persist with L. Appleby and B. Kay winning possession on the inside and outside while M. Marshall continued to bring great pressure laying tackles all around the ground.

Late goals through B. Kay and Keeley were not enough stop the Pecker’s dominance in the last quarter, running away with a 21-point victory.

Best players for Peckers were P. Lindsey playing and excellent game showcased by his run and skill, K. Bilney Jnr and B. Johncock Jnr.

Best players for Rangers were T. Keeley continuing his great season dominating up forward, L. Appleby and M. Marshall.

Lincoln South 15-15 (105) def Boston 7-6 (48)

Lincoln South are back in the winners column with a 57-point win against Boston at Poole Oval on Saturday.

The Eagles attempted to end a four match losing streak while the Tigers aimed for their first win of the year.

Things looked promising for Boston at first with Willy Woldt scoring a great goal from the boundary, but Eagles rallied to kick the next seven to set themselves up for the rest of the game.

Ben Jarvis and the reappeared Aaron Jantke proved efficient targets up forward as Lincoln South went to a 35-point lead at quarter time.

Lincoln South charged out early in the second and got an early goal from Jarvis.

James Neale was having a big impact in the centre, frequently finding space as a pass option and setting up inside 50s.

Chris Minns was frequently around the football and pursued the contested possessions at every opportunity.

Boston’s defenders were under pressure early in the match but Cooper Nohlmanns, Paul Theodosiou and Jarrad Nicholls put their own pressure on the Souths forwards while Aaron Dunn went after the ball and helped drive it into the forward 50.

It was an evenly contested quarter but Lincoln South made it count a bit more, kicking three goals to two to lead by 40-points at half time.

In the third Lincoln South controlled play in the midfield and started to stamp its dominance on the match, with young guns Neale and Jamie Doudle in particular standing out.

Jack Waller also had a great game, presenting as a good marking option at half forward.

Souths continued to hit their targets up forward which led to nine scoring shots and four goals.

Boston made a late charge in the quarter with Jake Nicholls and Jaykob Gooder scoring goals but Souths went into the final break with a 57-point lead.

Boston tried to finish strong and tried to get their run going in the midfield.

It was not easy as Lincoln South’s defence holding strong, especially Paul White who was having another great game in the backlines.

Doudle also turned it on in the final quarter with great attack of the footy and superb tackling.

Boston tried to make every possession count with Sam Kolega trying to get the centre breaks to move his team forward.

An even quarter saw both teams manage just one goal apiece to keep the margin at 57-points, a win for Lincoln South.

Jarvis topped the scoring with five goals with Waller and Doudle each kicking two, while Gooder was the top scoring Tiger with two goals.

Souths got the win they needed and will hope to make it two in a row against Marble Range following this weekend’s break for the South Australian Country Championships at Murray Bridge.


Discuss "Peckers hold Rangers"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.