Wayback slot into second

CHASE: Marble Range's Reece Francis tries to lose Wayback's James Flint during the A grade match on Saturday.
CHASE: Marble Range's Reece Francis tries to lose Wayback's James Flint during the A grade match on Saturday.

Port Lincoln football

Wayback 15-7 (97) def Marble Range 5-3 (33)

IN a game crucial to the make up of the ladder, Wayback prevailed in a hard fought contest at Centenary.

In a tough uncompromising first stanza, Marble Range were clearly the better side, using the northerly breeze to kick three unanswered goals.

Keeley was dominant up forward and Wayback were lucky to not be further behind.

In the second quarter Wayback evened the contest up and gradually took ascendence kicking four to one in the quarter, including a late goal to Seal that gave the demons a two-point lead at the main break.

After half time Wayback used the ball better, giving their forwards better delivery. David MacPharlin was superb in the third quarter, using his experience to kick three goals.

The Demon midfield were clearly on top and it was tough for the Marble Range defence to continuously withstand the onslaught.

Wayback eventually ran out 64-point winners. They were best served by Maxfield, Perkins and Jericho, who quelled Keeley’s influence after quarter time.

Marble Range’s best included a gallant Laube in the ruck, whose contest with Schlink was critical. Hansen, Pilgrim and young Casanova were excellent throughout the contest.

The win propels Waybacks to second on the ladder ahead of Marble Range on percentage but a lot can happen in the final four rounds.

Both teams will look forward to welcoming players back in the lead up to finals so the race is far from over for that all important double chance.

Tasman 9-19 (73) def Boston 2-3 (15) 

Boston ventured out to Ravendale looking for their first win of 2017 while Tasman were seeking redemption from a devastating loss.

Kelsh and Perry were prominent early with Semmler and Kitson providing strong body work in close and Daniels dangerous up forward.

Boston started the second quarter looking for opportunity to go forward against the breeze. Young Nicholls was prominent and Kolega’s toughness and voice was notable but the hard work was left to too few.

Tasman continually drove forward with the younger brigade of the Rosalia brothers and Ryan, Brown and Collins enjoying the lack of attention.

Tasman had 18 shots at goal and only inaccuracy gave the Tigers hope after losing coach Christian to injury. Scores at the long break 8-14 to 0-0.

The premiership quarter was a desperate struggle with the only highlight being Gooder’s two goals in the dying minutes. Theodosiou and Wilson tried their best but Rodda and Frost combined beautifully with Kitson and Semmler to give Tasman first opportunity.

In the final break a storm front swept through and the last quarter degenerated into a slog.