Rangers win thriller

CONTEST: Lincoln South's Levi McDonald goes up in the marking contest against Marble Range's Lance Appleby in the first semi final.

CONTEST: Lincoln South's Levi McDonald goes up in the marking contest against Marble Range's Lance Appleby in the first semi final.

Port Lincoln football

A grade

Marble Range 4-8 (32) def Lincoln South 4-7 (31)

Marble Range has kept its season alive by the skin of their teeth after holding on for a one-point win in a thrilling game on Saturday.

Lincoln South had not won a game all year against Rangers and came out determined.

Marble Range got on the board first as Tyron George and Lance Appleby set up Tynan Keeley for the first goal.

Souths soon found an answer, Levi McDonald kicked it high into the 50 to set up Bradyn Traeger for their first goal.

McDonald would have one of his best games of the year with a great attack on the footy and reading play well to pick up the loose ball.

Chris Minns also lifted Souths in the midfield early, picking up possessions as the Eagles controlled most first quarter play.

Luke Wilkins got South’s second goal after marking a kick in and this was followed by a goal to Paul White to give them a 15-point lead at quarter time.

The rain really started to fall in the second quarter as the ball became difficult to hold on to.

Rangers’ Kale Olds was a standout, winning most ruck contests and providing a good target in the midfield.

Zac Calderwood continued to make an impact for Rangers in defence as he led the way in repelling South’s attack.

Both teams were left at a stalemate for much of the quarter with great defensive pressure shown.

However South’s Nathan McEvoy was stretchered off after landing hard from a stiff bump, leaving Minns to take the kick and score the only goal for the quarter.

The conditions proved hard for scoring goals as Rangers managed four behinds to trail by 17 points at half time.

Play was heavily contested early in the third quarter but Marble Range found a breakthrough as Jacob Watson scored their first goal since the first quarter.

Rangers applied attacking pressure to get numbers around the contests and it paid dividends, with Todd Owen and Cody Pilgrim among those fighting for every possession.

Souths did not relent with Mitch Hall and Jamie Doudle in particular displaying good attacking football.

Although more opportunities went begging a goal to Billy Byass gave Rangers momentum and one from George gave them the lead. The margin was three points at the final break.

The last quarter was a wet scramble as the team’s struggled to get clean hands on the slippery ball.

Souths, led by McDonald in the midfield, set up several inside 50s but good defensive pressure from Rangers kept scores to just behinds.

However with one point the difference Swayne Ackland got a free kick and chance to get in front but kicked a behind, scores were level.

Marble Range made a big push for their 50 but contended with serious Souths numbers around the packs.

A rushed kick from Koby Sampson got Marble Range a behind to take back the lead.

Souths made one more push, McDonald kicked it into the 50 which was picked up by John Sinclair, who kicked towards goal but hit the point post.

It turned out to be the last chance as the siren sounded as the ball was thrown in to give Marble Range a memorable one point win.

For Rangers they now await either Mallee Park or Wayback in the prelim, while Souths are left to wonder on what could have been.

Under 17

Lincoln South 7-7 (49) def Marble Range 5-10 (40)

The first quarter was even for a five-minute period, which was unusual as this match was one of the better under 17 games this year with high marking plenty of good bumps and excellent skills shown in the slippery conditions.

The Eagles were first to score through the hard work of Waller and Newman when Colby Syvertsen goaled on the end of a good pass.

The Rangers equalised when Bartlett scored.

Nick Cooper and Ben Shillabeer were both taking strong marks and when Shillabeer kicked his second Souths has stretched their lead to 15 points.

The Rangers had a chance to draw level but missed a couple of easy chances.

The wind was worth three goals as South had 3-3 the Rangers 1-2.

The second quarter started with Pennington kicking a long bomb from 50 to goal. Jonty Doudle was excellent, carrying on from his first quarter good form. Sawley goaled for the Rangers to level the scores again.

The intensity of the game lifted as was shown by the courageous effort of Kane Hope, beating a group of Rangers to get the ball forward only to see Cooper take another telling mark for the Rangers in his backline.

Tyrell and Dinnison combined well in South’s backline and at half time Marble Range led 4-4 to Lincoln South 3-3.

The third quarter saw Cooper still dominating in the air and when Marble Range’s best player Jonty Doudle received a 25m penalty to kick a goal the Rangers snuck away to a couple of goals lead.

Waller and Brodie Drewitt both missed goals but Souths kept at it and were rewarded to be two points up at three-quarter time.

Rangers were first into attack in the last quarter when Pennington hit the post, which the Rangers found themselves doing in the quarter not able to score a goal. 

Souths on the other hand scored two through Bryant and Shillabeer to give themselves a two-goal lead.

Marble Range started to play undisciplined football giving South control of the ball, showing greater skill and discipline to run out worthy winners.

Rangers were best served by Jonty Doudle with his tenacious courageous play. Nick Cooper’s marking was a feature, Troy Docking was good forward or back. Kyle Castley, Koby Sampson and Jett Boxer did well.

For South, Kane Hope got the nod for his three goals and a great last quarter. Patrick Newman was very cool around the ground, Jordan Tyrell, the most underrated footballer, Tex Holman and Brodie Drewitt put in all the day.

Under 13

Marble Range 5-1 (31) def mallee Park 4-1 (25)

The first quarter saw the Rangers do all the attacking but could not put a score on the board due to pressure from Tyree Wilson and Michael Bryant.

When the Peckers did get forward the Rangers’ backline applied the same pressure the Peckers did at the other end.

The Rangers finally scored through Wilson due to some good work by Doudle and Freeman.

Trasen Pickett-Carbine was dominating in ruck and around the ground to kick the Peckers’ first two goals.

The quarter was a hard slog for both sides. Miller for the Rangers in the backline and Enright both lifted their work rate while the Peckers’ Harry Miller and Seamus Clark kept them in touch at half time, 2-1 to 2-0.

The third quarter started with the Rangers goaling in the first two minutes through Brown.

The Peckers had a chance but Harry Miller was off line and when the Rangers’ fullback kicked out on the full Wanganeen took full advantage and goaled.

The ball at this stage was very greasy, which saw a lot of soccering.

With only a couple of minutes of the third quarter to go, Thomas kicked around his body for a great goal to give the Rangers a one-goal lead coming into the last quarter.

The last quarter was a thriller, with both sides throwing themselves into it with Morgan, Miller and Oestmann attacking for the Rangers. Their work was rewarded with a goal but the Peckers replied with a goal from Pickett-Carbine. 

Clark and Ethan Richards were still playing well. The Peckers had the ball in their forward lines but could not score and when the siren sounded the Rangers fell in by a goal to end a great game.

Shanno’s Pizza Award

Marble Range under 15 footballer Jett Boxer was last week’s Shanno’s Pizza Award winner for a goal kicking performance not seen in junior football for many seasons.

He managed 11-8 in his team’s win over Boston, at centre half forward and through the centre.

It was a dominant performance with all skills on show, including marking and goal kicking and was as close to a complete performance as we have seen this season. Jett has a huge future and these 11 goals rocketed him to equal top of the goal kicking for the season.