2017 Great Flinders grand finals

Great Flinders football

A grade​

Rambers 15-10 (100) def United Yeelanna 10-11 (71)

RAMBLERS came away from Ungarra with another grand final win in the upset of the year, beating an undefeated United Yeelanna.

Ramblers had the Eagles covered at the opening bounce and never looked back, starting like a house on fire with veterans George Pedler and Shawn Fitzgerald both kicking goals in the opening seven minutes. When Billy Pilgrim kicked another, the Eagles had not touched the ball.

Ramblers’ onballers dominated and the Eagles’ usually fluent play was not happening.

Ramblers’ Robert Shirley was in everything early and never took a backward step. His midfield partners Scott Blacker and George Pedler dominated all over the ground. The elusive Wes Bilney and Jacob Kennerley provided plenty of drive through the middle.

When Eagles’ veteran Kade Dufek kicked a goal and the elusive Brayden Martin kicked another the Eagles crowd cheered but Ramblers were well on top at the break, 5-1 to 2-1.

Some huge bumps and tackles from Ramblers unsettled the Eagles, making them fumble and continually kick to the opposition.

Eagles’ captain Casey Carr was involved in a passage of play that allowed him to kick a goal but Ramblers’ James Pedler, who was knocked out in an earlier contest, came back on and kicked a goal to get his team back on top.

Matt Coombs managed to snap a goal out of the square after some terrific work from his team-mates. 

Ramblers’ Luke Rowe was an excellent forward target all day but Jack Crettenden was equal to the task. 

When Wes Bilney kicked a goal, Ramblers had all the momentum going into half time, 8-5 to 5-4.

Kit Williams kicked the first goal after half time and it was Ramblers by how much as George Pedler ran amok with Robert Shirley, hitting and tackling hard.

Jaxen Norton kicked a goal out of nothing to give the Eagles a glimmer of hope but when veteran Shawn Fitzgerald gathered the ball off the pack and dodged not one but three Eagles defenders and kicked goal of the year, Ramblers had a match-winning lead, 12-7 to 7-9.

Ramblers started the last quarter and hit in hard. Kade Dufek, the Eagles only shining light on the forward line, snapped another goal to keep them in the game.

Fitzgerald had the ball on a string and led the Eagles defenders on a merry dance to snap another rover’s goal and when Ramblers’ Jacob Kennerley kicked a great goal, the game was sealed.

Kit Williams got a couple of cheap goals late, then Eagles’ Jaxen Norton got a goal line goal to get some respectability in the score. 

Ramblers came to play and showed exactly what it takes to win grand finals with a total team effort, while the Eagles had too few who contributed. Eagles’ best were Kade Dufek, Matt Coombs, Jack Crettenden, Sam Glover and Jaxen Norton. Ramblers’ best were George Pedler, Robert Shirley, Wes Bilney, Shawn Fitzgerald, Scott Blacker and Billy Pilgrim.

B grade

Tumby Bay 8-4 (52) def United Yeelanna 5-4 (34)

THE Tumby Bay Blues capped off a great finals campaign with a hard-fought win against United Yeelanna. 

After a solid win against the Eagles in the second semi, spectators were expecting a solid response from the Eagles who were coming off a big preliminary final win. 

Both sides attacked the footy hard early and the Eagles looked dangerous in the first quarter with the fast-leading Schulz bagging two early goals. 

Blues’ Brown and Watson worked hard defensively and Jefferson got his hands on it in the middle but the Eagles, through the Kidney brothers, Proctor and Reynolds-Rowe, were controlling the game and Lawrie looked dangerous across half forward. 

The Eagles took a one-goal lead in to quarter time and apart from an injury blow to key player Matty Haylock, they looked up and about. 

They started the second quarter strongly. Lawrie began asserting his authority across half forward, Pobke was getting plenty of the pill and the Schulz boys caused the Tumby defence some concerns. 

Marley Butler lifted across half forward for Tumby and Jefferson continued to play his heart out as they battled manfully against a hard running Yeelanna who were beginning to take control. 

Blues’ coach Ricky Clark swung some important changes, moving Brayden Calderwood to centre half back, which jolted his side in to action. Along with Calderwood, Brown, Southern and Modra began to take control in the back half and runners Cooper Watson and Newton began to get their hands on the footy.

Prime kicked a great goal to get the Blues back within a kick on the half time siren. 

Tumby Bay opened the third quarter in style. Jefferson, Smith and Fleming were hard at it in the middle and their back half continued to stand up and control the contest, while up forward, Butler, Larwood, Bugjea and Prime looked dangerous. 

Reynolds-Rowe, Proctor, Harris and Kidney battled hard to keep their side in the game but struggled against an inspired and hard running Tumby Bay.

The Blues piled on three goals and held the Eagles to just one point in a dominant quarter that set up their win. 

The Eagles bounced back strongly in the final quarter, kicking an early goal to bring the margin back to six points but the Blues responded strongly to kick two majors and hold on to win a great game by 18 points.

Best for Tumby were Paul Jefferson, in a best on ground performance, Cooper Watson, Calderwood, Brown, Southern, Modra, Larwood, Bugeja and Butler. The Eagles were best served by Proctor, both Schulz boys, Pobke, Agars, Phillips and Reynolds-Rowe.

Senior colts 

Tumby Bay 13-12 (90)  def Ramblers 7-13 (55)

BOTH sides were very evenly matched coming into the day, with Ramblers just having the edge over the Tumby Bay boys during the season. 

The first quarter set up a good base for how the rest of the match was to play out with Tumby leading by a goal at the first break. 

The Rambler lads would have been slightly disappointed by not capitalising on the slight wind advantage they had during the first quarter.

The second quarter was dominated by the Blues as they worked harder and just read the ball a lot better, working themselves into better positions around the ground. 

However some poor kicking by Ramblers in their back lines did not help their situation, setting up Harry Degner in front of goal to give the Blues the first goal. 

The hard work of Charlie Richardson and Jagger Cross through the middle of the ground set Jackson Murphy up to get a couple of goals for Tumby. 

Ramblers kept on battling and got goals through Bailey Ryan and James Richardson but the quarter belonged to Tumby who took full advantage of the breeze booting four goals to two.

Ramblers needed to use the breeze in the third to close the small margin Tumby had. 

Ethan Parsons missed an early goal to give his side the boost they needed. 

Instead the ball went up the other end to Murphy who booted another goal. 

But Ramblers were not rattled. 

From some good work at a boundary throw in, Toby Modra found himself on the end of goal and not long after Richardson took a good mark to give the boys some momentum. 

But when Tumby hacked the ball forward, it found its way to the safe hands of Murphy and under pressure he set up Cross, who kicked the goal to make it two goals each for the quarter, and a four-goal margin to the Blues.

Ramblers threw everthing they had at the last quarter but it just was not to be their day. 

An early shot at goal was touched on the line and with all the first five minutes of play in their forward half they could only manage four behinds. 

Eventually they got a break through when Ethan Langley was caught high in front of goal. 

They had some good intensity around the ball for the last quarter but the margin Tumby already had was going to be hard to claw back. 

When the Blues finally kicked back into gear they got another four goals to Ramblers’ one. 

In a good, hard-fought game, Tumby Bay ran out grand final winners by 35 points. 

Great Flinders netball

A grade – Ramblers def Eyre United 48-39

A LARGE crowd gathered to watch the much-anticipated A grade final between Ramblers and Eyre United. 

Ramblers scored the first two before Hayley Masson scored for the Saints. Saints’ nerves were evident in the first five minutes with some mistimed passes. 

Joint rising star winners Mikaela Richardson and Tarlina Flavel showed early on they were going to have a good tussle, with Richardson just on top early.

Hayley Masson soon found the ring again, shooting some nice goals to peg back the lead.

Ramblers’ pressure was tight however, causing the Saints to make silly mistakes, giving the Magpies an eight-goal lead at quarter time 16-8.

Eyre United stepped up the pressure and got a few on the trot to start the quarter, with more controlled passing. Antionette Liddell and Flavel stuck tight to the Ramblers’ goalies making them work hard. 

Kassidy McCallum was moving well, finding space and finishing off nicely for Eyre United. 

Classic Lisa Richardson pulled out some brilliant intercepts, with Ramblers comfortably ahead at half time 29-17.

Stacey and Kaitlin Hier found fresh legs in the third, bringing the ball down well for the Saints but it was a scrappy start to the quarter and both sides had to work hard for the ball. 

Several missed opportunities for both sides resulted in goals to their opposition.

Ramblers were up at the last break 36-27 but the Saints girls finished well to win the quarter by three.

Lisa Richardson and Whitney Wright kept the pressure up in the ring but the Saints goalies were scoring well and got to within five goals halfway through the last quarter. 

Young player Laura Hall came on in goal keeper for Ramblers with Wright off with an injury.

The Saints did not give up and scored on all their turnovers but Ramblers maintained the lead they established in the first quarter and their finals experience showed.

Best: Ramblers: Lisa Richardson; Eyre United: Antionette Liddell.

A reserves - United Yeelanna def Cummins Kapinnie 35-29

Both teams took to the court with confidence, Cougars starting with the ball.

The Cougars’ defence held up early, making scoring difficult for Yeelanna and Cougars took an early advantage. The reach of Cougars goal keeper BJ Moroney pressured the Yeelanna attack and they found it difficult to capitalise on turnovers. 

By contrast the Cougars goalies took every opportunity to extend their lead. 

Emily Miller and Ruby Green were accurate and confident despite strong pressure on the feed by Yeelanna’s Bri Modra. At quarter time Cougars led United Yeelanna 9-4. 

Cougars continued with confidence into the second quarter, maintaining pressure across the court. 

Yeelanna showed signs of settling, Chloe Thompson began to shoot accurately and they slowly began to eat into the Cougars’ lead. 

They edged to within two goals but some great long shooting by Ruby Green appeared to ease this pressure. 

Yeelanna evened the scores, 17-17, right on half time.

Cougars moved Lucy Fitzgerald back into goal defence on Lucy Norton. 

In contrast to the opening term, Cougars appeared rattled by Yeelanna’s full court pressure.

The Yeelanna defences picked off passes through into the goal third and the movement through to their goalies was smoother and less panicked. 

As they opened up a three-goal lead their confidence grew and they opened their game right up. Cougars began to make errors, doubting their play. 

Holly Campbell drove strongly down the court and along with solid feeding from wing attack Katherine Robb, the flow into the ring saw the Yeelanna goalies shooting and rebounding with consistency. 

Heather Norton started floating out of the ring to pick off loose passes. 

Yeelanna took a six-goal lead into the last quarter and looked difficult to beat as the momentum was well and truly with them, 28-22.

The final quarter began with strong defensive play from both sides and it took considerable time for either side to score.

Cougars drew first blood, off Yeelanna’s pass but goal keeper Heather Norton was determined in her pursuit of the ball, turning it into her team-mates hands and causing the Cougars girls to over-think their play.

When time stopped for injury halfway through the quarter, Yeelanna had an eight-goal lead. 

Ruby Green refused to give in and shot well deep into the game. However, Yeelanna’s determination saw them premiers after a whole team effort.

Best: Yeelanna: Katherine Robb; Cougars: Ruby Green.

B grade - United Yeelanna def Cummins Kapinnie 51-32

United Yeelanna took the first pass and were on the board before a quick reply from Cougars, setting the scene for a tight game.

Strong defensive work from Yeelanna put them three up by halfway through the quarter, before Cougars took a turnover and evened the score.

Both teams showed great drive on to the ball but some loose passing by Cougars and accurate shooting by mother and daughter team Tracey and Georgia Wooley saw Yeelanna take the lead. 

Cougars were finishing off well when Anna Whillas and Selenia Mahoney could pass in to space but Yeelanna won the quarter 13-10.

Yeelanna started the quarter with a goal and both teams continued to score off their centre passes.

A strong intercept by Crysta Robins in the Cougars’ goal circle saw the Eagles girls lead increase to five. 

The quarter began to see-saw, with strong defensive play by Cougars capitalised on, then some turnovers by Yeelanna in the last minutes taking the score back out to 24-19 at half time.

Cougars made big changes, bringing Tayla Slater on in wing defence, Tori Dahlitz into goal keeper and Caitlin Martin into centre. Fresh legs had an immediate effect with Cougars taking the first three goals of the quarter to be within two.

Yeelanna settled and found their rhythm again, with several intercepts pushing their lead back out to five.

Yeelanna were more patient in attack, waiting for their goalies to open up with Georgia Wooley shooting well to give the Eagles a nine-goal lead by the break, 36-27.

Both teams stepped up their defensive pressure in the final quarter and it was four minutes before the first goal was scored by Yeelanna. 

This boosted the Eagles who scored the next 10 goals to stretch their lead to 20.

Cougars’ goal shooter Josie Turnbull came off with an injury and capable young shooter Eliza Nelligan stepped up with seven minutes left. 

The Cougars girls began to lift with a great pass in to Nelligan under the ring and both teams were going goal for goal but Yeelanna had done enough in the first 10 minutes of the quarter to set themselves up. 

Best: Yeelanna: Zanny Cafuta; Cougars: Kimberley Agars.

B reserves – Cummins Kapinnie def Tumby bay 25-15

In a repeat of last year’s grand final match, teams took to the court with expectations of another tight tussle.

Cougars had the first centre pass and shot the first two goals before Tumby could answer.

Cougars’ goal defence Chaz Letton and wing defence Mardi Green proved a strength for the Cougars team.

As both teams settled, the defensive pressure increased, with Cougars leading 6-4 at the first break.

Tumby brought young D grader Sharlee D’Agostini in to centre, a good match-up with Cougars Jemima McLachlan.

Cougars came into the quarter with confidence, dominating in defence and capitalising on every opportunity to lead 13-5 by half time.

A low-scoring start to the quarter reflected the pressure by the defences who had all stepped up their intensity. Neither side could maintain their momentum, with numerous turnovers from mistimed passes and silly mistakes. 

Jodie Black fed in well for Cougars and Blues’ Jasmin White was moving well in the ring. Cougars shot just four for the quarter, with Tumby outscoring them by one but Cougars maintained their lead, 17-10, at the break.

Tumby Bay brought Courtney Carr back in to wing defence for the final quarter and Cougars moved Mardi Green in to shoot with her daughter Ella, with Tayla Eylward in at wing attack and Rochell Leedham in wing defence. 

Both teams had fire in their belly for the win, chasing any loose balls and looking for every opportunity.  Letton and Lock combined well to make it hard for the Tumby goalies to find space. Tumby’s Tiffany Hibble worked hard but Cougars increased their work rate to run out the victors by 10. 

Best: Cougars: Chaz Letton; Tumby Bay: Tiffany Hibble.

D grade – Ramblers def Tumby Bay 35-28

Lily Nettle started with the ball for Ramblers in what was tipped to be a great match. 

Ramblers scored off their centre pass, then got a great turnover to take a two-goal lead.

Ramblers put the pressure on in defence from the first whistle and scored from any turnovers. 

Tumby started to find their rhythm and increase their defensive pressure to be rewarded with some intercepts and score a couple of quick goals.

Tumby’s wing attack Sharlee D’Agostini and centre Katrina Vanderlans were moving the ball well through the mid court defenders allowing Tumby to close the gap to two goals at quarter time, 9-7.

In the second quarter, Ramblers’ early defensive pressure proved too strong with some quick passes finding easy targets to score.

Tumby regrouped with Ari Schlink and Abbey Bates picking up the pressure in the ring and combining well with wing defence Julia Devine to keep the score to within two.

Ramblers’ feeders Lara Howard-Ham and Nettle changed it up and began to find their goalies, with the Magpies taking the lead into the break 17-13.

Tumby picked up their intensity in the third quarter, rattling the Ramblers’ attack line without any scoring from either end. 

With turnovers from both ends, it was a messy start to the second half. 

Ramblers kept their confidence in their goals while Tumby struggled to reward their turnovers. 

Tumby remained composed, scoring a couple in a row to boost their confidence. At the break Ramblers were just ahead 23-19. The final quarter came down to who could maintain their intensity and capitalise on their opportunities. 

Tumby dug deep to surge back to within two goals. Good moving and shooting by Alex Stratford despite tight defence by Mackenzie Walter boosted her team’s confidence.

However, Ramblers kept their composure, making good use of every turnover to maintain their lead. 

Best: Ramblers: Mackenzie Walter; Tumby Bay: Alex Stratford.

E grade – Tumby Bay def Cummins Kapinnie 52-30

Cougars started with the ball but nerves and grand final inexperience showed as both teams were unsettled early. 

The first goal came at the two-minute mark for Tumby after lots of turnovers and this was quickly followed by a goal to Cougars.

Tumby began to settle and get into a good rhythm. 

Jasmine Trezise took several clean intercepts with the Tumby goalies quick to convert. Two quick goals at the end of the quarter kept Cougars it but Tumby led comfortably 13-6 at quarter time.

Tumby defences Asha Trenberth and Mia Challinger swapped to start the second and for Cougars Lily Letton came in to wing attack, Sophie Biggs moved to goal keeper and Grace Burns went to wing defence. 

It was even scoring in the first five minutes, with Cougars fighting to get back into the game and Tumby creating opportunities. 

Cougars Kaitlin Randall started strongly in goal defence, creating numerous turnovers. 

Tumby’s Jasmine Trezise dominated the centre, feeding well into the goalies who found the ring with confidence. 

Cougars’ goal attack Holly Gale worked hard to get the ball to the circle but the undefeated Tumby team lead 23-16 at half time.

Siann Cross came on to the court in wing defence for Tumby and Cougars remained unchanged. 

Tumby’s goalies were playing a smooth game, with their defenders forcing opposition errors, which were capitalised on.

Errors came from both teams as players worked hard for every ball. 

Cougars scored six for the quarter, while Tumby took 15 to take a commanding lead of 38-22 at three quarter time.

In the final quarter, Cougars’ goalies Holly Gale and Bridie Mickan continued to work hard. Centre Halle Phelps lifted and took some beautiful intercepts but Tumby kept cool heads and maintained their momentum.

Best: Tumby Bay: Brooklyn Hunt; Cougars: Kaitlin Randall.