Smooth trip for muscle car entrants

CAR RUN: Brian Luckcraft and Mick Hart at Winton Raceway during a motorsport event.
CAR RUN: Brian Luckcraft and Mick Hart at Winton Raceway during a motorsport event.

A GROUP of Port Lincoln muscle car enthusiasts have returned home from the Leukaemia Foundation’s Aussie Muscle Car Run, helping to raise $279,631 to help beat blood cancer.

The drivers left from Eastern Creek and travelled to Canberra, Benalla, Geelong and Mount Gambier before finishing in Adelaide.

Local participants Jason Maloney, Rodney Scharfe in his 1998 Holden Commodore VT Corsa, George Smith in his 1977 Chevrolet Corvette, Robert Nicholls in his 1971 XY Falcon, Kym Anderson in his 1976 Holden Torana, Brian Luckcraft in his 1973 Ford Falcon XA GT and Cliff Carpenter in his 1976 HJ Holden Statesman drove the 1901 kilometres from Eastern Creek to Adelaide.

All six participants raised between $4000 and $5000.

Brian ‘Lucky’ Luckcraft was crowned motorsport champion in what was his fourth Aussie Muscle Car Run. 

He said this year’s event was one of the better ones he had been involved in. 

“Motorsport champion is basically the most consistent runner over the four events,” Mr Luckcraft said. 

Drivers in the run participate in controlled motorsport events, which this year were held at Sydney Motorsport Park in Eastern Creek, Winton Motor Raceway in Benalla, the Ford Proving Ground at Geelong and Portland Drags at Mount Gambier. 

Mr Luckcraft said the highlight of the trip for him was driving on Sydney Motorsport Park.

He said doing the run with a group of local, like-minded men was also an “excellent” experience. 

“There was a mix of Ford and Holden and as everyone knows there is a bit of rivalry between the two,” he said. 

“It was just good and everyone was really friendly.” 

Mr Luckcraft said he would possibly do it again next year and with talk of driving on the new motorsport park at Tailem Bend it might be hard to resist. 

“It’s a good opportunity to get out and run the cars as they should be run and we all performed well and got home safely,” he said.