Tasman cruise to victory

NOT ENOUGH: Luke Yancic, not out for 58, did most of the scoring for Charlton in their A grade match against Tasman.

NOT ENOUGH: Luke Yancic, not out for 58, did most of the scoring for Charlton in their A grade match against Tasman.

Port Lincoln cricket

A grade

Tasman 2/108 def Charlton 10/106

BOTH teams entered this Sunday fixture with plenty of optimism about their chances to advance through to the preliminary final. 

Jack Shanley won the toss and had no hesitation batting first on a hard Centenary pitch.

Goddard and Gooder opened the batting for Charlton and Semmler struck straight away with Goddard caught at point.

A short time later Matheson was late on a Harris delivery and a chest mark was taken by keeper George and Tasman had a second wicket and Charlton were 2/12.

Gooder was joined by Yancic and a partnership was required to get the innings on track, however Gooder was well caught at second slip off the bowling of Bryant and Cottrell fell two runs later for a duck, caught at mid wicket off the bowling of Semmler.

Stockham also came and went and Charlton were in real trouble at 5/42.

A 32-run partnership between Yancic and Murphy had the Charlton innings somewhat back on track at the drinks break.

After drinks the Tasman side managed to bowl seven overs for just one run. With the pressure mounting Harris dismissed Murphy and the tail had a huge job to do.

Yancic was still at the crease and having done most of the scoring he really needed some help and contribution from other Charlton players.

The tail did not wag at all and Charlton were dismissed for 106 in 41 overs.

Yancic was not out for 58 and Tasman’s best bowlers were Harris 4/15, Bryant 4/17 and Semmler 2/11.

The Tasman innings looked to get off to a strong start with Jack Bunder playing his normal aggressive role, however he was undone by Shanley in the first over after crunching the ball before for four.

This brought Matt Dyer to the crease to join Brown and the two went about spreading the field playing a mix of aggressive strokes and nicely timed drives into gaps.

After 10 overs the score had raced to 47 and Tasman were in complete control.

Both batsman were batting beautifully but with the score on 72, Brown was out off of Shanley for 39.

Frick joined Dyer and the two continued on.

Bowling changes occurred as batting hero Yancic looked to replicate some of his Henderson Shield form and leading association wicket taker Stephens looked to get a breakthrough but it was not to be.

In the 29th over just after drinks Frick hit Goddard for four to bring up a comfortable eight-wicket win for Tasman.

Dyer finished on 33 not out, Frick 21 not out while Shanley was the only wicket taker with 2/34.

Next week will see Tasman take on Tod River at Centenary Oval with the winner advancing through to the grand final against raging favourites Southern Eyre South.