A 25-year-old Lock man was in a critical condition at the Royal Adelaide Hospital on Monday afternoon after he was accidentally set alight at Lock on Sunday morning.
A spokeswoman for SAPOL said police were called to North Terrace at 8.02am on Sunday with reports of a man being set on fire after a jerry can holding fuel ignited and exploded near a bonfire.
The spokeswoman said the main sustained burns to 50 to 60 per cent of his body.
She said it appeared another man was nearby at the time of the incident and both men were believed to be under the influence of alcohol at the time of the incident.
The injured man was taken to Cummins in an ambulance and flown to Adelaide by the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Lock Football Club president Kerran Glover said a group of people camped near the Lock oval on Saturday night after the club closed and had a bonfire.
He said he was concerned about the welfare of the man in hospital and those who witnessed the incident and helped the man.
“I’m concerned about the welfare, primarily (of the man)...or those who attended the scene,” Mr Glover said.