Peckers win in great scrap

Port Lincoln football

From back page

Mallee Park 11.19 (85) def Lincoln South 7.7 (49)

IN A good old barnyard scrap Mallee Park outstayed a tenacious Lincoln South.

In the first quarter the Lincoln South supporters were in full voice as their team overran the Peckers, kicking three unanswered goals to the Peckers’ two points to establish a lead of 17 points.

The Eagles were flying, winning the clearances in the back half and through the midfield and the lead could have been bigger if not for the Pecker trio of Quade Ware, Kingsley Bilney Jnr. and Jeremy Joss holding up the Eagles’ flight forward.

After a strong approach by coach Graham Johncock to his charges at the break the Peckers kicked five points on end before finally the two flags waved with back to back goals to their supporters’ delight, sounding their car horns in unison.

The tempo of the game increased as the Eagles clawed and tackled their hearts out with a late goal and the Peckers answered with their third goal, trailing Souths by one solitary point at half time.

The second half was a power struggle, the gang tackling slowed the game and kept the umpires busy. The flying Eagles of the first half became pedestrian-like in the third quarter, managing two goals while the Peckers kicked four with another seven points.

The scoreboard said it all at the last break with Mallee Park continuing to spoil their work rate by kicking 16 points to go with seven goals totaling 58 to trail by 17 points.

The last quarter would see the Peckers’ chorus of car horns urging their charges on to kick three goals to the Eagles one to run out winners by 36 points.

Credit goes to Lincoln South, they took the game on and at times had the Peckers looking second rate with their work at the hard ball contest plus their tackling and a never give up attitude caused the Peckers problems in their run and carry game.

Best for the Peckers were Quade Ware, who may have Mail Medal votes, with under 21 player Troy Simpson a player to watch and Kingsley Bilney Jnr, now with his road running style beeping his way through the lines.

For the Eagles they were not that far off in winning this contest with Swayne Ackland kicking three goals plus a strong all round game from Colby Syvertsen, Levi McDonald was continually attacking the contest and one must recognise the team effort of the Eagles.

Marble Range 15.12 (102) def Wayback 4.4 (28)

On a perfect afternoon for football the undefeated Wayback ventured out to the ‘Gary’ to take on second placed Marble Range. Rangers started by kicking to the southern end aided by a slight breeze, it was not long before the first goal was scored by Nick Cooper.

The ball rebounded between backlines with Reece Francis and Wade Hansen doing well across half back to get the ball to Kory Beard for his first. Thomas Easson and Shaun Maxfield tried to move forward only to be rebounded by the Rangers backline, getting to Billy Byass who kicked truly, quarter time Marble Range led 3.1 to 0.1.

The second quarter started with Wayback getting the ball forward to Seal who kicked long towards Matt Hayman who marked on the point post and snapped a great goal to get Wayback on the board. There was good footy from both sides, Tanner Schlink, Conner Dowden and Easson tried hard to get Wayback going, but Rangers through Francis, West and Kay pushed forward, resulting in goals to Beard, Tynan Keeley and Ty George.

Beard and Keeley were getting on top of Wayback’s Ben Sampson and Ian Jericho but could not punish as Rangers kicked five straight points. Some good work from Easson led to a Jason Perkins goal right on half time, Marble Range led 7.6 to 2.1.

The third quarter started with Rangers kicking towards the well supported Bandy’s Bar where the 1978 and 1998 premiership reunion players had gathered to tell everyone how good they used to be, but Wayback upset celebrations by scoring the first goal through Hayman.

A quick response from Marble Range resulted in goals to George, Keeley and Byass who continued his good form from previous weeks, then Blaze Kay kicked a ripper from the boundary line in front of the bar to get the crowd up and about.

Rangers dominated across the ground resulting in another Beard goal. Tristan Fennell played well across half back to get the ball to Greg Maxfield, resulting in an Easson goal. After some good work in the centre from Kay, Byass passed to Beard, who dominated across half forward, to kick a goal.

Matt Parker was back for Rangers after a year away and started to get into the game, passing to Beard for his fifth. Easson, S. Maxfield and Anthony Ianniello were getting the ball forward only for it to rebound through Hansen and Zac Calderwood, who had the better of the talented Seal. Three quarter time Marble Range led 14.8 to 4.2.

The last quarter started scrappy, the ball rebounding between backlines with Rangers kicking four behinds to Wayback two. Rangers were well and truly on top with Beard kicking his sixth, resulting in a comfortable win 15.12 to 4.4.

Marble Range’s best included Beard, Byass, Cooper, Kay, Francis, Calderwood, for Wayback Easson, S. Maxfield, Schlink, Ianniello.