Wayback outrun Mallee Park for 41-point win

IN FRONT: Wayback's James Blewit moves the ball away from Mallee Park's David Dudley.

IN FRONT: Wayback's James Blewit moves the ball away from Mallee Park's David Dudley.

Port Lincoln football

Wayback 17.10 (112) def Mallee Park 10.11 (71)

WAYBACK hosted Mallee Park at Centenary Oval in a match that was as entertaining as it was crucial for these two teams’ finals aspirations.

The game started with Mallee Park kicking with a stiff northerly breeze. However it was the Demons that were first to hit the scoreboard with a nice crumbing goal to Thomas Easson.

From then on the Peckers controlled the ball and had it not been for some wayward kicking for goal the game could have been in the keeping.

The quarter time score of 3.6 to 1.1 was very alarming for Wayback supporters with Mallee Park was looking very dangerous.

An inspired quarter time address by coach Matthew Goodwin motivated the Wayback players to respond and they well and truly did.

Kicking eight goals for the quarter, they took ascendency all over the ground but it was Easson, Jason Perkins and both Maxfields that were standouts providing opportunities for the forwards to capitalise.

Youngster Samuel Clark was proving an important target to aim for as Ah Kit-Burgoyne was nullifying Jonty Seal’s influence on the contest, he kicked two goals for the quarter.

At half time the Demons led by 10 points and it was the Peckers young stars that really started to put on a show after the break.

Casey Amos, Tyler Roderick and Waylon Miller were using their devastating speed to cause great concern for the Demons.

It went goal for goal for much of the third quarter.

A terrific match-up throughout the game was that of former Mail Medalist Kingsley Bilney Jnr playing on a back flank on Ben Sampson.

In the air Sampson had the advantage but when the ball hit the ground Bilney provided excellent rebound from defence.

It was a highlight of the day to see two EP team mates playing on each other with such brilliance and ferocity.

In the last quarter the Demons’ superior fitness and finesse clearly showed with the margin blowing out to a comfortable 41 victory to Wayback at the final siren.

They were best served by Perkins, Easson and Shaun Lever, with Clark finishing with a game high four goals.

For the Peckers, Ah Kit-Burgoyne was superb in defence along with runners Amos and Roderick.

Mallee Park will be looking to re-group next week as they return to Pecker Park to take on the improving Lincoln South who will be coming off a 68-point loss to Tasman.

The Peckers will be looking to regain some experience with Graham Johncock, Ky Miller and Justin Lindsay all to return in the coming weeks.

Wayback return to Centenary to take on the might of Marble Range in a top of the table clash that will be pivotal in deciding the final make up of the 2018 premiership table.