Blues win tight game

Great Flinders football

Cougars 17-8 (110) def Lock 7-6 (48)

A fine sunny day greeted players at Kapinnie in the big clash between Cougars and Lock.

Cougars were looking to cement their spot in the four and Lock were keen to get the two points to get their season back on track after recent successive losses.

Cougars won the toss and kicked with a two goal breeze to the southern end.

Cougars started well showing more intent at the contest.

Great awareness by Nelligan to Konitzka saw Cougars on the score board early and two minutes later a free down field saw Konitzka kick his second.

Nelligan was chalking up disposals in the middle, his well weighted kick to a good lead from Laube saw Cougars third goal kicked.

When Moroney found Konitzka on a lead that resulted in a goal, Cougars were four goals up and Lock looked shell shocked.

Konitzka was dominant in the ruck and when he drifted forward Lock had no one that could stand him.

Lock soon kicked a much needed goal after a period of scrappy play but Nelligan answered within minutes with a soccer goal.

Freeth at half back for Cougars was taking plenty of timely grabs and Puckridge was rebounding well.

Just before the siren, Zac Tiller for Lock took a great mark and converted to have Lock only three goals down at quarter time.

Lock came out after the break and showed more fight.

Morton added some grunt in the mid field and Siebert was causing the Cougar defence some headaches.

A poor kick out by Cougars saw Siebert swoop, he found Britza in the pocket who converted.

Lock’s ruckman Slape kicked a long bomb and the lead was reduced to a goal.

Cougars needed to respond and they did through good work from Puckridge who pinpointed a pass to L. Paech who then found Nelligan and a goal resulted.

Lock’s coach Habner tried to rally his troops, his strong grab and off-load to Hetzel saw the lead reduced again to a goal.

The last five minutes of the quarter was great to watch with both sides throwing everything at the contest.

A goal to Cougars’ forward Moroney was answered again by Hetzel and at half time Cougars were up by a goal.

Moroney goaled early in the third for Cougars after some great work by C. Paech down back.

This goal was answered by Pearson for Lock after a good pass by Siebert who was a shining light for Lock up forward.

This is when the Lock challenge ended, five unanswered goals to Cougars blew the game wide open.

Two goals to Laube and another two goals to Moroney, one of them a classy check side from the pocket, plus another goal to Nelligan saw Cougars go into three quarter time with a six-goal lead.

Lock was struggling to find any reliable target up forward but they were not helped by some sloppy entries into their forward 50.

Cougars scored the first two goals in the last quarter, one to Laube and another to Nelligan from deep in the pocket after he had laid a fierce tackle.

The lead had blown out and the game never reached any great heights as the damage had been done.

The win and incentive boost was very important to Cougars and they will go in to the last four matches with confidence and belief.

Lock’s finals aspirations are now as good as gone.

Their plight has not been helped with some serious injuries to some key players this season but they will no doubt show pride in the guernsey in the coming weeks.

Best players for Cougars were Konitzka, a classy game from Nelligan was great to watch, the two Paech boys were solid and Freeth was a pillar of strength down back.

Lock was best served by Northcott, the two Heath lads and young Slape in the ruck never stopped trying.

Tumby Bay 18-3 (61) def Ramblers 8-7 (55)

Tumby Bay came from behind to defeat Ramblers on Saturday in yet another dour contest that the two clubs have produced in recent times.

It was an important win for the Blues and gives them some breathing space in second spot and the all-important double chance.

Ramblers hit the scoreboard early in the first quarter and looked on top before Tumby Bay hit back through Calderwood who was providing a strong target from the goal square.

When Murphy produced some brilliance to kick a great goal from deep on the boundary line on the run, Tumby Bay had some ascendancy and looked in good touch to lead by two goals.

Ramblers hit back hard to kick the next three on the trot through some good work from Pedler, Shirley and Harry Ford who was causing the Tumby defence some concern.

The second quarter was a real arm wrestle as both sides struggled to hit the scoreboard, but Tom Kelly managed to ignite his side with a great long goal after good work up the field from Franklin.

This enabled Tumby Bay to take an eight-point lead into half time.

The third quarter belonged to Ramblers as they took control of the game through the middle of the ground where Shirley’s work rate was a highlight along with Sampson, Ford and youngster Jeb Nettle.

Tumby’s defence was suddenly under pressure and live wire forward Wes Bilney found himself on the end of a couple to put the Magpies on a roll.

Lawrie, Hind and Murphy were working hard for their side helping out in defence, and if not for the efforts of Walker and Edmonds then Tumby Bay may have found themselves further behind at three quarter time.

They trailled by 11 points going in to the final quarter, but did have the aid of a slight breeze, and their coach Harris gave clear instructions for them to take the game on.

They looked sharp early, and when James, Lawrie, Franklin and Lawrie started getting their hands on the ball they were able to provide plenty of opportunities for their forwards where Rees and Calderwood capitalised to put their side in front.

Ramblers could not get the ball past a disciplined Tumby defence where Walker, an injured Richardson, LeBrun and Edmonds were impassable.

The weight of forward entries eventually got the Blues over the line as they kicked 2.5 in the final quarter while keeping Ramblers scoreless to win by six points.

The game never really reached any great heights, the closeness of the contest gave supporters plenty of interest, but they will both need to improve to seriously challenge the undefeated United Yeelanna come finals time.

The Blues were well served by defenders where Joe Walker, Edmonds and Lebrun were excellent, James worked into the game as it wore on, and Hind, Lawrie, Calderwood and Murphy all had good moments.

For the Magpies, Rob Shirley's work rate at both ends of the ground was outstanding, Harry Ford was prominent, and Logan Dennis, George Pedler, Sampson and Jeb Nettle all played well.

Tumby Bay will hope to further seal second spot when they travel to Lock this weekend while Ramblers will look to bounce back at home against Eyre United.

Times Scribe votes: Joe Walker 3, Rob Shirley 2, Isaac LeBrun 1.