Blues snap losing streak | PHOTOS

A big final quarter helped the Blues get the better of Koonibba by 31 points in Far West football on Saturday.

The Blues led by four points at three-quarter time – the biggest margin at the end of a quarter to that point – and then roared home to return to the winners list with a 18-12 (120) to 13-11 (89) result.

Koonibba led a close first quarter by only three points, although the margin could have been greater if not for six behinds.

The teams traded goals in the second term as four apiece saw the Blues lead by just one point at half-time.

The break did little to change the pattern of the match as the teams were evenly matched in the third quarter to kick five goals each which had the Blues ahead by four points.

Koonibba kicked the opening goal of the final term yet the Blues were devastating as they piled on seven of the next eight goals to end a seven-match losing streak and climb off the foot of the table by percentage.

Thomas Clayton continued his fine form with seven majors, with David Wright and Brendan Kloeden adding four goals each.

Swayne Day and Brandon Willis kicked three goals apiece for the Roosters.

Western United romped to a 144-point thrashing of Thevenard.

The match was over as a contest by quarter-time as the Tigers went on to win 25-19 (169) to 4-1 (25).

Western United kicked nine goals to no score to lead by 61 points by the end of the opening term and further extended the margin to 78 points at the main break.

The Tigers added four goals to one in the third term to take a lead of 100 points into three-quarter time, then finished the match with another eight goals.

Tom Woods and Jesse Chandler led the way for Western United in the final third with seven goals each and Tyler Dunn added four.

Josh Threadgold, Dom Denton, Lachlan Wilkins and Ashton Riddle kicked the Thevenard goals.

Koonibba recovered from a goalless opening term to defeat the Blues 9-11 (65) to 5-4 (34) in the B grade.

The Roosters kicked just two behinds to trail by eight points at quarter-time, then turned it around to lead by eight at half-time.

They kicked five goals to two in the third quarter, before both teams went goalless in the final quarter for a final margin of 31 points.

Western United cruised to a 66-point success against Thevenard.

The Magpies did not kick a goal until the final quarter as it ended 12-10 (82) to 2-4 (16).

The Tigers raced to a 27-point lead at quarter-time, while four goals to no score in the third term made the game safe.

Western United’s Roy Day led with four goals.

This story Blues snap losing streak | PHOTOS first appeared on West Coast Sentinel.