Minister for Resources and Northern Australia Matt Canavan made his last visit to Kimba on Monday in the lead up to the final ballot on the National Radioactive Waste Management Facility.
Mr Canavan met with the Kimba Consultative Committee and the Kimba Economic Working group, as well as the public, in what he described as “productive” meetings.
“The reason behind the visit is to confirm that the community has all the information they need to make their decision,” Mr Canavan said.
“I want this decision to be made in an informed way.”
Mr Canavan said he believed that the community had received “all the information” it needed to make a decision.
“The ball is in their court now,” he said.
While in Kimba, Mr Canavan also visited the two nominated sites, Napandee and Lyndhurst, to learn more about them in case he needs to select one for the facility.
The visit also followed the announcement last week of a $31-million benefits package which the host community would receive.
“I really want to stress that we worked hard to address the community’s concerns about the benefits package being more than $10 million,” Mr Canavan said.
“And it’s not just the benefits that will come directly from the facility, but also there would also be wider benefits provided throughout the community indirectly.”
Mr Canavan said the federal government would have a “continuing relationship” with the host community.
Following his visit to Kimba, Mr Canavan visited the community in Hawker near Wallerberdina Station.
The final ballot for the facility will open on August 20 and will remain open for four weeks, with a decision set to be made by the end of the year.
Submissions for those who are unable to vote in the ballot opened on August 1.
More information is available at radioactivewaste.gov.au.