Lock earn retribution

FOOTBALL: Lock's Kane Tiller and Ramblers' Logan Dennis keep their eyes on the ball.

FOOTBALL: Lock's Kane Tiller and Ramblers' Logan Dennis keep their eyes on the ball.

Great Flinders Football

Lock 6-11 (47) def Ramblers 5-8 (38)

A strong westerly played havoc with scoring despite it having a small impact on ground level accuracy.

Both sides were keen to get their hands on the ball with Lock gaining the upper hand despite three points and two missed scores.

L. Brown, M. Glover, Siebert and Morton started in top gear and did not slip all day.

Tiller and Kelly were defending cleanly with Arbon on top of Pedler.

M. Dennis, Quigley and Franklin were providing midfield drive for Ramblers but were being picked off by the running Roos.

At the 16 and 18 minute mark the Roos jagged a double header with a clean slate still for Ramblers.

Eventually Pedler managed to find Bilney on a lead with the wind to his back to bring up a major.

The next five minutes locked the ball into Ramblers’ forward line for a two-point reward giving the Roos a seven-point lead at the first break.

The second quarter belonged to the Roos as they held their opposition scoreless.

They dictated the terms of the quarter through Glover, having a boomer on the wing; Morton, Sellen and L. Brown, running through the middle; and L. Heath, Wright and Arbon providing attack from defence.

Quigley, Rule and Sampson did their best to lift Ramblers but Lock’s pressure took away their few opportunities.

Despite their clean possession football, lack of accuracy from the Roos did not provide pressure on the score board and they were ahead by only 19 points at the long break.

As was expected a tighter Ramblers outfit came out for the second half. Ford and Richards got them off to a good start with majors.

Northcott was able to get the ball to Pearson on the lead who kicked the only Roos’ goal for the quarter.

Hall, Mickan, Rule and Franklin had really lifted with Dennis a focus for Ramblers.

The Arbon and Wright defence was brilliant with Sellen making his presence felt.

Dennis added another major amongst points and with a goal after the siren there was a single point in the game at the final change.

Both sides moved the ball around the ground at speed and any mistake was punished and the ball turned over in record time.

The speedy Sellen found the big sticks for the Roos, and Ramblers responded with a minor.

L. Brown, Glover and Wright were unstoppable supported by the experienced Morton, Kay and Arbon.

Rambler’s defensive marking was outstanding, preventing the score from blowing out.

The Mickan, Rule and Hall height was well used and Franklin, G. Pedler and Sampson were a treat to watch.

Another goal to the Roos with still six minutes to go was real pressure.

Roos ensured victory for their team to the tune of nine points.

United Yeelanna 13-11 (89) def Tumby Bay 5-7 (37)

It was a top of the table clash at the Tumby Bay Oval with the competition leaders, United Yeelanna, looking to repel the second placed home side.

The Eagles started with good intent, attacking the ball hard and keeping the play in their attacking half.

While possession was almost even, the home side were forced to employ desperate defence to prevent the visitors from taking a run away lead.

It was with a sense of inevitability when, after 10 scoreless minutes, the Eagles put the first major on the board. Pushing into the cold wind, Havelberg marked and goaled from 25 metres out.

However, Calverly soon restored the spirits of the home side as he pegged back a goal before the first break.

The second session started well for the Blues as they managed to link up from the centre of the field to pass down field.

When M. Lawrie was able to hold onto a sharp Calvery hand ball and run on to goal in the early minutes of the stanza it looked as if the quarter time rev up had the desired effect.

At the other end of the field Havelberg used the wind to full advantage and goaled in quick succession.

Lenard Lawrie followed up soon after and the game looked as if it was out of reach of the home side.

Tumby 2-5 (17) to Eagles 5-7 (37).

The third quarter started in a similar fashion to the preceding quarters, an extended scoreless period flowed by a flurry of shots on goal at both ends of the ground.

T. Kelly showed poise under pressure to goal from his left boot, while the ever active Hennell benefited from the endeavour of the home side’s midfield, to goal soon after.

Veteran, D. Fleming was inserted into the game with immediate effect.

Sporting perhaps the largest pair of shorts in the club’s kit bag, Fleming read the play well and ran from the bench straight into the path of an incoming floater.

Quick thinking by Fleming lead to a sharp pass to Butler who in turn passed off to T. Franklin.

When Frankilin converted the Blues appeared to be within reach of the visitors at the end of the third term.

The Eagles came out in the fourth quarter and confirmed why they are the league’s leaders.

Five goals in a little over 10 minutes ran the scores out as the Tumby side only managed a solitary point for the quarter.

United Yeelanna went home the victors.

Watson, Dyer, Crettenden, Norton and Carr were the stand outs for the Eagles while Tumby was well served by Franklin, Murphy, Kelly, Edmonds and the emerging R. Gerrie.

Cougars 16-4 (110) def Eyre United 8-12 (60)

Cougars, with a strong second half against Eyre United at Kapinnie, almost cemented their finals chances.

Cougars opened the game well with Sam Ness kicking the first.

Eyre United were finding it difficult to get it past their half forward with the Green lads starting well in their back half. 

With a great running goal from Jack Green and another crumbed by Luke Moroney, Cougars looked the goods. 

Eyre United clawed their way back to be down 4-4 to 2-1 at quarter time.

Ness was dangerous and seemed to have his radar on kicking a couple while Dorizzie and Young for Saints got one each.

Tosold for Cougars was having a great duel with Young, matching him with speed and agility. 

The second term opened with a squally shower passing through making conditions tricky for ball handling.

Eyre United did all of the attacking only to kick a number of points before Ness, against the run of play, kicked his third. 

Eyre United finally got one through the big sticks before Hazelgrove, who had been well held by young Webb, kicked another for Cougars. 

A clumsy collision in the Eyre United forward line resulted in a free and a goal handed to Eyre United by Cougars.

This seemed to spark the Saints and they dominated the rest of the quarter kicking three straight to have their noses in front at half time. 

Cougars were lucky the Saints did not kick straight or they would have been trailing by a lot more.

Saints’ better players included Hall and Neale in the middle and Anthony Webb doing his job on Hazelgrove.

Ness up forward, Brodie Laube on a wing, Konitzka the everywhere man, along with the defence of Tosold and Jack and Adam Green were good for Cougars. 

With Kontizka returning to ruck and a few stern words from the coach, Cougars opened the third term with a lot more intent, peppering the goals with one each to Konitzka and Flynn Paech returning from Darwin.

The Saints responded in their intensity but Cougars defence held tight led by Pedler, Green and Tosold.

Another two to the Darwin boy and another to Hazelgrove had the Saints battling to stay in the game at the last break.

Scores were 11-12 to 7-11.

With Cougars kicking the first couple goals of the last quarter, the sting went out of the game, Cougars comfortably winning by eight goals.

Saints tried hard all day but could not match Cougars after half time – some of their better players included Hall, Neale and Vlassco.

Konitzka, as usual, had another great game as did Thomas Wedd and Cougar defence in general.

Tolsold’s job on the dangerous Young was a feature.