Western United end premiership drought with a commanding triumph

Western United have capped a superb season with a 75-point victory over Koonibba in the Far West Football League grand final on Saturday.

The Tigers burst out of the blocks with a powerful opening quarter display and were never troubled to record a 19-12 (126) to 8-3 (51) triumph and win their first premiership since 2008.

Jake Warmington followed his Mail Medal success with a best on ground showing for the victorious Tigers.

The teams traded goals inside the opening 10 minutes but from there the first quarter belonged to Western United as they ran riot with six consecutive goals to open up a 36-point margin at the break.

The defending champions gave themselves a chance with a pair of goals to start the second term only for the Tigers to kick four of the next five.

By half-time the gap had increased to 46 points, leaving Koonibba with it all to do.

They got the third term underway with a goal from Jesse Lennon yet as with the second quarter those hopes of further reducing the deficit were crushed when Western United kicked the next two goals.

The Tigers ended the third quarter with another pair of majors to further widen the margin to 60 points.

Koonibba could only manage one goal in the final term as Western United, who lost just once in 2018, closed out a fantastic performance with three more goals.

Tom Woods caused problems for the Koonibba defence throughout the match and finished with five goals, while Jarden Stoetzer kicked three and both Jarrad Kenchington and Jesse Chandler grabbed two.

Swayne Day and Gerald Graham-Williams kicked two apiece for the Roosters.

Western United were triumphant in the B grade thanks to a three-point win over Koonibba.

There was little to separate the teams in this tightly-contested showdown, but the crown went to the Tigers for the third time in four seasons thanks to an 8-5 (53) to 6-14 (50) result.

Peter Dobbins was pivotal in the forward line for the Tigers as he kicked three goals – the only player to kick more than one goal.

Koonibba led at quarter-time by three points in a hard-fought term which set the tone for the remainder of the match.

By the main break there had been only five goals between the two sides as the Tigers turned it around to lead by three points.

The third quarter proved decisive.

Koonibba had more scoring shots than the Tigers – six to four – yet could only manage one goal compared to Western United’s three which saw the margin extended to 11 points.

Dobbins kicked two vital goals in the final term and while Koonibba pushed hard to get within three points their inaccurate kicking was decisive in the final result.

Thevenard denied Western United a clean sweep as they went back-to-back in the under 17 grand final by 13 points.

The Magpies had to battle back from deficits at quarter-time and three-quarter time to win the flag 9-8 (62) to 7-7 (49).

Westies kicked the only goal of the first quarter to lead by eight points, but were kept scoreless in the second term as Thevenard roared back with three goals to take a 13-point gap into half-time.

The Tigers reestablished control with three goals in the third term seeing the lead change once more, with only a point separating the teams.

It was end-to-end action in the final quarter.

Western United carried through their momentum to boot the opening two goals of the term only for the Magpies to kick five successive goals in a championship-winning display.

Lachlan Wilkins with five and Neville Bryant with four shared all of Thevenard’s goals, while Cruz Polkinghorne kicked three for Western United.

A dominant display has given Western United a first under 14 premiership.

The Tigers were too good for the Blues as they won by 43 points in a 7-8 (50) to 1-1 (7) result.

Brent Dunn and Cruz Polkinghorne starred with three goals apiece to end a commanding Westies campaign.

They kicked the sole goal of the opening quarter, while the Blues got on the board in the second term yet were no match for Westies who added three goals.

Western United kicked three more majors in the third term to lead by 43 points and they saw out the contest to celebrate.

This story Tigers celebrate premiership glory | PHOTOS first appeared on West Coast Sentinel.