Hawks march into grand final | PHOTOS

A big final quarter ensured West Coast are the first team into the Mid West football grand final after a 26-point victory over Elliston at Wudinna on Saturday.

The Hawks coughed up an early lead and had to come from behind at three-quarter time to secure a 13-13 (91) to 9-11 (65) success.

Cody Colbung and Cameron Montgomerie led the way for the Hawks with five and three goals respectively, while Glen Tonkin booted two for Elliston.

It was all West Coast in the opening quarter as they raced to a 28-point lead thanks to a five-goal showing, with the Roosters kicking just three behinds.

Elliston were much improved in the second quarter and had eight scoring shots to five yet could not exert enough scoreboard pressure with a further four behinds to trail at half-time.

Twenty points clear as the match resumed, West Coast were halted in their tracks by the Roosters.

Elliston kicked four goals to the Hawks’ three behinds to see them go into the final quarter ahead by four points.

West Coast’s only defeat this season came at the hands of Elliston last month by only one point, yet they responded well to the pressure in the fourth term to boot five goals and seven behinds to a lone Roosters major, turning the deficit into a fine win.

The Hawks will have a week off as they await the winner of Elliston and Wirrulla this Saturday at Elliston.

Wirrulla marched into the B grade grand final with a 13-10 (88) to 9-8 (62) result against Elliston.

The Bombers played well after half-time to break clear and win by 26 points.

They were helped by a dominant Craig Johnson display which resulted in six majors, while Christian Weetra booted three for Elliston.

It was tight and tense in the first term with both teams knowing what was up for grabs and there were only three goals scored and just five points in it.

The Roosters shaded the second quarter to see Wirrulla’s lead reduced to three by half-time.

The third term proved pivotal as the Bombers kicked five goals to three which extended their advantage to 16 points.

They carried that momentum into the final term with four goals to advance to the decider.

Elliston have the double chance in the preliminary final against West Coast this weekend.

West Coast were brilliant as they secured a 141-point victory in the colts match against Elliston.

The Hawks simply blew their opponents away in a devastating display to win 22-16 (148) to 1-1 (7).

Jonti Brice was in fine form as he kicked eight goals and Hayden Brands was just behind with seven.

The Roosters were kept scoreless in the opening two quarters, although it took until the second term for the Hawks to truly dominate.

They led by 16 points at quarter-time then booted nine goals to push the margin out to 73 points by the main break.

Josh Nuske grabbed Elliston’s lone goal in the third term, but West Coast added six more goals and finished the match with five majors to reach the grand final.

Elliston will face Wirrulla in the preliminary final this Saturday.

This story Hawks march into grand final | PHOTOS first appeared on West Coast Sentinel.