Eagles get shot at glory

SECOND SEMI: Tumby Bay's Jordan Hind takes a mark in the A grade. Picture: Meryl Weetra.
SECOND SEMI: Tumby Bay's Jordan Hind takes a mark in the A grade. Picture: Meryl Weetra.

Great Flinders football

United Yeelanna 14-11 (95) def Tumby Bay 11-8 (74)

United Yeelanna came away Lock winners in the second semi final over a very plucky Tumby Bay team.

The Eagles were missing Matthew Crettenden, Lennard Lawrie, and Aaron Watson and the Blues had Brayden Calderwood missing.

Tumby Bay showed they had come to play and through gun midfielder Mitchell Lawrie they got the first goal on the board.

Tackling and pressure was first class but when Eagles midfielders found space, Daniel Havelberg was on the end of clever play from Matt Dyer.  

Eagles’ Michael Crettenden kicked a classy goal and when Bryce Breed drifted forward into space the Blues backlines were in disarray.

The ball was moving end to end until the Eagles delivered the ball forward to find Stephen Crettenden.

Havelberg took another big mark to give the Eagles a handy lead at quarter time, 5-4 to Blues 2-1.

The game tightened up after Blues’ Stephen Rees took on the Eagles defence and kicked a great running goal which resulted in a clash of bodies between Blues' Nigel James and Eagles’ Ricky Skinner.

Eagles’ full forward Havelberg managed to kick another goal after much of the play was in the Blues’ forward lines as the Eagles linked up through Brock Jolly, Adam Murnane, Casey Carr and Bryce Breed.

Jordan Hind was having a great game and managed to drift forward to kick a goal.

Then Eagles’ centreman Xavier Watson drifted forward to kick true to open up a handy lead.

Blues’ speedster Stephen Rees was on the end of clever play with Mitch Lawrie and Tyler Franklin winning important touches. Eagles 7-7 to Blues 5-4.

The third quarter was all Jackson Murphy who started on the wing then went forward to take fine grabs and kick two goals; he led the Eagles’ defence on a dance.

Mitch Lawrie and Tyler Franklin combined again to keep the Blues in touch.

The game was tightening up but Havelberg took a clever mark and kicked true and then Matt Coombs kicked a classic rover goal to keep Eagles in front, 10-9 to Blues 9-7.

Eagles did all the early attacking in the last quarter, Havelberg taking his tally to five goals for the game.

Eagles’ midfielders slowly started to get on top and Matt Coombs managed to run rings around the Blues’ defence to kick another goal and when Brayden Martin goaled, he gave his team breathing space.

Jackson Murphy and Franklin kicked goals to give Blues fans hope but that was soon snuffed out as Kade Dufek kicked a long goal from outside 50 to seal the game for the Eagles.

Times Scribe best on ground: Daniel Havelberg (3 votes), Tyler Franklin (2 votes), Adam Murnane (1 vote).