Tasman storm past Marble Range for win

HANDBALL: Marble Range's Lance Appleby fires off a handball in the A grade preliminary final against Tasman.

HANDBALL: Marble Range's Lance Appleby fires off a handball in the A grade preliminary final against Tasman.

Port Lincoln football

A GRADE – Tasman 14.8 (92) def Marble Range 7.6 (48)

TASMAN stormed into the grand final with a convincing win over Marble Range.

An even first quarter saw backlines playing well with Tasman’s Reincke and Frost holding Rangers up while at the other end Schreiber and Hansen were, if not marking the ball, spoiling the Rooster forwards.

Collins got the first goal and with McCurry on top in the middle Tasman had plenty of opportunities as Wagner scored two goals. Beard with a strong mark scored and crumbing goals to West and Owen tied scores at 3.1 at quarter time.

The second quarter saw the Roosters getting the upper hand in the middle with K. Rosalia reading Kelsh’s taps in the middle and McCurry’s fierce attack on the ball, Wagner soccered in a third off the ground.

The Rangers’ only goal for the quarter came from Franklin and Owen did well to set up Keeley who missed a sitter and could have gotten them closer. At half time Tasman 6.2 (38) to Marble Range 4.3 (27).

In the third quarter the Rangers got a bit more of the ball but their kicking into the forward lines saw the Tasman backline read the ball far better and repeatedly repel each attack.

Beard was under pressure every time he went near the ball with Tucker playing a disciplined game before some undisciplined Roosters play finally saw him goal.

Harris lifted his work rate and was rewarded with two goals in this quarter, Wagner kicked his fourth and Tasman had kicked away to a four-goal lead going into the final break.

Tasman came out determined to prove they will be a force in the grand final and could have dominated had they kicked straight, scoring 4.5, while the Rangers’ only goal for the quarter came from Schreiber.

The Roosters’ best was Boyd McCurry with his hard work in the packs and precision kicking to teammates, Jace Rodda and Chase Tucker were impassable down back, Johann Wagner kicked five goals and Kody Rosalia did well along with Cody Mason.

For Rangers Lance Appleby tried his heart out, Glen Schreiber is one of the league’s best backmen and tried hard all day while Cody Pilgrim, Jayden Sampson and Wade Hansen were the best of the rest.

B GRADE – Lincoln South 5.5 (35) def Tasman 1.9 (15)

The match between Lincoln South and Tasman was the battle of the backlines in the first half and was marred by ordinary goal kicking.

The first quarter saw Melzner up forward playing well for Tasman while Perry took some strong marks up back for the Roosters.

Rowley for Souths was giving his side first of the ball a lot but wayward kicking, mainly by Cocks saw Souths two points and Tasman no score at quarter time.

The second quarter was similar as players had trouble with the wind with a couple of misses by Tasman before Shelton eventually snapped one for his side’s first goal. Cocks finally got one for Souths and at half time they were 2.2 (14) to Tasman 1.0 (6).

The third quarter saw Tasman apply more pressure but their kicking for goal was atrocious as they kicked four points for the quarter.

Souths would post three goals, one was a great snap by Adam Polden and their third by Alex Haynes was right on the siren.

Scoring in the the last quarter was similar to the third as Tasman were once again terrible in front, kicking five points while Souths could only manage one point.

Souths’ best were Jayden Blewit, Greg Rowley, Kane Hancock and Kane Hope. Tasman were best served by Zac Melzner, Inti Aburto, Dylan Perry, Jaron Shelton and Jyrah Miller.

UNDER 17 – Tasman 4.8 (32) def Lincoln South 2.3 (15)

In blustery conditions Tasman kicked four goals, dominating through the midfield in the first half to Lincoln South’s one goal.

With the ball travelling from end to end a hard, tough presence by both clubs in the midfield took place in the first half.

The Roosters finished off their good work when having forward momentum to lead by 16 points, kicking 4.1 (25) to the Eagles 1.3 (9) in the first half.

In the second half the Eagles responded with pressure and kept the Roosters goalless when they kicked seven points.

The Eagles found much more of the ball and with a equal share of the ball going forward through clearances from the back half they kicked the only goal in the second half through Pratt, while the Roosters were on top down the back with tough defensive back half clearances.

The Roosters ran out winners by 17 points with all game efforts from George Wilks, Cooper Van Doorn and Cooper Perham, the energy of a Billy Wheare goal and backed up by Mitchell Jude, Travis Howard and Sam Casanova.

The Eagles’ best were Tex Holman, Naish Parthenis, Elijah Thompson, Tyson Pratt and Camden Madden for their goals and captain Brodie Drewitt.          

UNDER 15 – Wayback 8.3 (51) def Tasman 3.5 (23)

Wayback will play Marble Range in the under 15 grand final after a solid win over Tasman in the preliminary final. The Demons led throughout and pulled away to a 28-point win.

J. Mullins snapped an excellent goal to get Wayback on the board as his side had more numbers around the ball than the slow-to-get-going Roosters. Wayback defended well around the ground with good tackling, smothers and bumps.

Wright got the Roosters on the board but McShane kicked another for the Demons to put them in front at the end of the first term two goals to one.

The Roosters played well for the first half of the second quarter but couldn’t find the goals and the Demons rubbed it in as Baldwin kicked a good running goal against the flow to give his side a two-goal lead at the long break.

Blacker was being well held for the Dees while Jude was playing injured and was also well held.

Beau Sampson kicked a goal for Wayback to start the term and Blacker’s first goal extended Wayback’s lead to four goals early in the term.

The Roosters defended well against a constant barrage and did well not to let the Demons run away with the game. McNab kicked Tasman’s second goal of the game after a good passage before Jude had a shot after the siren, but that fell short.

Promising youngster Harris kicked Tasman a good goal but Sampson kicked two for Wayback, and McShane one after the siren to see their side take the win.

Tasman lost possession across the midfield and into half forward, which ultimately saw them fall way short of their opponents. However, the Roosters can hold their heads high. After starting the season with a list of just 11 players, they managed to increase that number to 20, but were cruelled by injuries in the finals series.

Tayla Walladge stepped up to fill in a gap for the Roosters and for her first under 15 game was excellent. The Demons can be proud of their win and have rightly claimed a grand final spot.

Best for Tasman were Toby Casanova, Henry Price for his excellent defence and marking, Max Coote, Cambell Waller and Toby Wright.  Wayback’s best were Rhys Carey, Wilson McShane, Caleb McIntyre, Jay Mullins and Beau Sampson.

UNDER 13 – Marble Range 4.2 (26) def Boston 3.2 (20)

One goal was the difference between these two teams with an all out battle across the ground. The centre bounce clearances slightly favoured Rangers through ruckman Symonds and both back halves had strong clearances.

On their fifth entry into their 50 Rangers kicked the first goal but the Tigers’ determination showed when they equalled with their own goal after good work from the back half by Smith and Rawles for Cochrane to have both flags waving.

The momentum lifted in the second quarter with a lift in tackling and running, and a continuous battle from one end to the other with back halves denying the forwards with one goal kicked.

The Rangers’ Sumner was breaking through the lines with the two Millers, Cooper and Ashley getting the ball forward and the Tigers’ defence were equal to the task, allowing only one goal and made up for lost opportunities when they went forward. After the long break the Rangers held that one kick lead and this game was yet to be won as the pace of the game and gang tackling lifted.

In the third quarter the Tiger supporters were roaring for their team who rallied to kick two goals and missed some chances with two points, while their back half kept the Rangers to one goal to gain a two point lead at the final break.

The fourth quarter was what survival footy was all about and a tough, relentless game took place with all players giving their best.

There would only be one goal kicked, Sumner on the run from a centre bounce clearance got the ball forward and a pressure breaking goal by the Rangers plus two points was enough in this tight as a rusty lid game. Both teams and coaches should be congratulated on a game that could have gone either way.

Two goals from Rangers’ James Semmens showed he is a player to watch, one each to Hugo Wilsen and Mitchell Pearce were all from a team working together and special mention to Latrell Sumner. Special mention to all players and coaches who should be proud for it showed Port Lincoln footy is in good hands.