Tod River, Tasman and SES score wins

PASS: Zac Crabb bats carefully for Tod River against Wayback on Saturday.

PASS: Zac Crabb bats carefully for Tod River against Wayback on Saturday.

Port Lincoln cricket


Tod River 10/129 def Wayback 10/123

On a very blowy ‘Ravengale’ afternoon somehow Tod River won the toss, and did not hesitate to have a bat.

Shane Stockham with gale at back nicked up Nick O’Leary early for four while Tyson Arthur set about dispatching anything lose, in particular the young Zac Mullins who had the task of pushing up into it.

Earle came and went after a ripper catch from young Brett Woolford in his debut, diving full stretch to his right.

Arthur eventually inside edged Mullins to get caught behind for 39, and Toddies were 3/50 and in a bit of strife.

Mitch Dalziel and Zac Crabb got the score to 78 before Dalziel, who successfully launched over the fence a couple of times looked to do it again off Marc Eckert and managed to get cleaned bowled.

Eckert also picked up Tim Wiseman without scoring and captain Billy Campbell then took Schiller and McShane in quick succession and the ever patient Crabb fell for 13 to a short wide one caught by Stockham.

Tom Gent chimed in with a well-compiled 20 before Stockham came back on and took the breakthrough, and Daljeet Barth knocked over Coote for five, leaving River legend Craig Dorward not out on 14 and Toddies maybe a little lean at 129, all out after 33 overs.

The young Maxy Coote opened the bowling well for the River, picking up J. Davies plumb on the big toe for one and partner in crime McShane taking a good catch to see Jack Parsons depart for 10.

Sam Clark and Billy Campbell batted well until Coote took a good catch off Schiller to see Clark go for 15.

Dorward then took a sharp slips catch to have Stockham removed off Dalziel for six, and when Robin Earle caught the ever dangerous Campbell for 23 off Schiller, the River was on a roll at 5/63.

D. Barth top edged M. Dalziel to be caught by Earle for eight, Brody Burrows was run out with a bit of mix-up by Crabb for four and young Mullins was clean bowled, top of off for 0 by Schiller, and Wayback were reeling on 8/77.

Wayback legend Andrew Woolford managed to sum-up the situation, and bat very well and patiently in a partnership with Eckert.

The Tod River bowlers delivered very tight lines with not many runs being scored but Wayback persisted and got within nine runs before Woolford was cleverly bowled by Arthur for 44.

The script was waiting to be written with son Brett Woolford next in waiting for the opportunity to bring it home with the old man.

Unfortunately it was not to be and Dorward held onto a good catch off O'Leary to have Woolford caught and Wayback just six runs short in the 42nd over, Eckert finished on a solid three not out.

It was a thriller played in good spirits.

Tasman 10/219 def Charlton 10/81

In blustery conditions at Poole Oval between Charlton and Tasman, Tasman won the toss and elected to bat. 

Opening bowlers Jack Shanley and Raymond Whillas had their hands full trying to adjust to windy conditions early but did so, with Whillas claiming two early scalps to have Tasman in early trouble. 

Jack Bunder and Pete Brown started rebuilding the innings the only way they know, attack. 

Bunder and Brown played shots to all angles of the grounds, Bunder being the main instigator. 

After a short delay of a ‘runaway’ cricket pitch, play resumed, Jack Bunder then getting to 50 and quickly moved to 68 before Nick Wright claimed the wicket, thanks to a sharp catch by Strudwick. 

Brown was also out not long after, giving Luke Strudwick his first scalp with the score on 111 for the loss of four wickets. 

Brent Harris and Mitch Jude continued the aggressive stroke play before Strudwick claimed Harris for 28, for his second scalp. 

Mitch Jude and Matt James were also out not long after, with the score at 157 for the loss of seven wickets. 

Tasman’s tail-end built small but handy partnerships to get the score to a more than defendable total of 219. 

Jack Bunder made a damaging 68, Welsh import David Clarke made a handy 38 in the middle order and tail-enders Jesse Cornish and Jaiden Jude made handy contributions at the end. 

For Charlton Whillas was the stand out bowler claiming 4/37.

With Tasman setting a high total of 220, Charlton did not need the loss of early wickets, unfortunately opening bowlers Harris and Clarke both claimed an early wicket to have Charlton in early trouble at 2/10. 

This left a massive job for Ryan Cottrell and Luke Yancic ahead, both started brightly and went about rebuilding the innings before a peach of a delivery took Yancic’s off-stump out the ground. 

Unfortunately for Charlton their innings never built momentum after this with young bowlers Mitch Jude, Jaiden Jude and George Wilks spreading the remaining wickets to have Charlton all out for a modest 81. 

For Charlton Cottrell top scored with 25. 

Tasman spread the wickets out, Mitch Jude claiming three and Jaiden Jude, Clarke and Wilks claiming two each in an emphatic win for the Redcaps. 

Southern Eyre South 6/251 def Lincoln South 10/150

Lincoln South hosted Southern Eyre at Centenary Oval in some of the windiest conditions seen in a long time.

Southern Eyre won the toss and elected to bat to take advantage of the difficult bowling conditions caused by the wind. 

Watson and Smith took full advantage of this and plundered the opening attack of Reidy and Sincock to move the score to 47 before the introduction of Gorton and his leg spin had Watson trapped in front for a quick fire 34.

Puckridge was next to the crease and he immediately asserted his dominance over the attack hitting four sixes and three fours on his way to 59 and put on a game changing partnership of 116 runs with Smith (60) once again anchoring the innings.

O’Dea (28) and Seibert (48no) put the finishing touches on the innings producing some big hitting and quick running between wickets to steer Southern Eyre to a healthy total of 251. 

A. Sincock was the best of the bowlers for Lincoln South picking up three wickets off his nine overs.

In reply Seibert got Southern Eyre off to the perfect start and struck early removing the dangerous Reidy for nine and then Lloyd for a duck. 

Things did not get much better for Souths as Seibert had his tail up and was getting the most out of the turf wicket. 

He removed five of the first six batsmen to complete his 10 overs with outstanding figures of 5/15.

With Seibert out of the attack A. Sincock (60) and Kumar (41) took full advantage of the bowling change and put on a 112-run partnership to take the fight up to Southern Eyre.

The introduction of the experienced Smith provided the breakthrough Southern Eyre needed and picked up two wickets in three balls to again swing the momentum back into Southern Eyre’s favour. 

All that was left was for Damian “The Finisher” Green to take the last two wickets and wrap up Southern Eyre’s eighth straight win for the season.


Wayback 9/233 def Tod River 9/163

On a hot and windy day at Dorward Oval Wayback won the toss and elected to bat. 

Parkyn had the early breakthrough for Tod River, removing Singh for one. 

Szumski steadied the ship with Beau Lloyd, but with tight bowling from Parkyn and Kaleb Hope, runs were kept to a minimum. Szumski fell for 11 to the combination of Hope and Hope, bringing Kleinig to the crease. 

This partnership changed the game for Wayback, with both scoring freely all around the fast outfield. 

The partnership of 130 ended when Kleinig chanced his arm once too often off the bowling of Mullins to be well caught by McShane on the boundary for 66 and the score on 162. 

Beau Lloyd fell soon after for 62, but with handy contributions of 27 from Bruce Lloyd and 20 from Thakural, Wayback pushed their total to 233. 

Jay Mullins, Thompson and Kane Hope all finished with two wickets each for Tod River.

Tod River started the chase well, with Kaleb Hope and McShane batting aggressively to keep the runs ticking over. 

The breakthrough came for Waybacks in the 14th over with Hope caught and bowled by Bruce Lloyd for 24 and the score on 64. 

McShane passed 50 before Lloyd struck again, dismissing him for 57 and then removed Kurovec soon after drinks to put Wayback on top.

Wickets fell quickly thereafter with the young Tod River batting line-up exposed, with only Kane Hope showing resistance in making 21. 

Tyson Parkyn and David Hope ensured the overs would be batted out, showing value in their wicket, but Wayback finished 70-run victors. 

Atkins finished with four wickets, while Lloyd claimed three and Loots two for Wayback.

Tasman 9/139 lost to Charlton 2/144

In good conditions for kite flying, Tasman hosted Charlton at Ravendale in the B grade at the weekend.

The toss went the way of the home team and they had no hesitation in batting first.

Tasman got off to a solid start with the opening pair of Jason Fauser and Jake Vincent knuckling down and maneuvering the ball into the gaps from ball one.

Vincent looked to be the aggressor hitting the bad ball to the boundary on regular occasions.

The partnership passed 50 in the 12th over, with both batsmen looking solid at the crease, before the bowling of Wilsdon and Simpson put the brakes on to slow the run rate.

Vincent was dismissed in the 16th over for a well made 31 and then Fauser lost his wicket on the last ball before the drinks break to leave the hosts in a strong position at 2/78.

After the break Wilks and Smith looked to consolidate and continue to build a strong total, the run out of Smith and dismissal of Wilks in quick secession allowed Charlton back into the game.

The bowling of Corey Stephens and Camden Madden tightened the screws. 

The fielding pressure was also on display with a direct hit from Aaron Dunn to remove Neil Andersen.

The introduction of Dylan Dunn with the ball proved to be the turning point of the game with the wicket keeper snaring three quick wickets to put a dent in the Tasman innings.

In the end Tasman managed to compile a very competitive total of 9/139 off their 40 overs.

Charlton started their run chase with Westaway and Stephens opening the bat facing Aiden Martin and Bohdi Fauser with the new rock.

Westaway did not last long, going after one too many, well caught in at slip by an injured Colin Murdoch for a quick fire 20 off the bowling of youngster Fauser.

Woods joined Stephens at the wicket and the pair pushed the ball around comfortably, ticking the scoreboard over and rotating the strike without much risk.

The partnership blossomed and passed 50 in the 17th over after Stephens looked to up the anti.

Charlton getting to drinks at 1/92, required another 48 for victory.

The drinks break proved the undoing for Woods, after hitting a ball off Wilks straight down the throat of Dodd at long on in the 21st over.

Dylan Dunn joined Stephens at the crease and looked to put the game to rest, Stephens passed his 50 in the 23rd over and Dunn then went about his business hitting the ball hard and flat.

Charlton passed the score two down in the 29th over, leaving Stephens 54 not out and Dunn 34 not out.

Lincoln South 9/39 lost to Southern Eyre South 0/41

Lincoln South won the toss and elected to bat first and were bowled out in the 15th over for a very low total of 39 runs, due to the bowling of T.Dunn who ended with figures of 4/5.​

Top scorer for Souths was R. Fordham on 11 followed by D. Briggs on seven.

Southern Eyre South managed to efficiently chase down the low total in just six overs without losing any wickets. 

SES top scorer with the bat was opener G. Casanova scoring 23 while partner J. Morgan finished on 11. 

Port Lincoln cricket will take a break this weekend but will return for the last games of 2018 on December 15.