South Australians warned about danger of eating wild mushrooms

WARNING: The wild death cap mushroom that can cause death. Image supplied.
WARNING: The wild death cap mushroom that can cause death. Image supplied.

South Australians are being reminded not to eat wild mushrooms as a variety of poisonous mushrooms begin to pop up following the recent rainfall.

SA Health's deputy chief medical officer Dr Nicola Spurrier said 32 people had been admitted to hospital since 2015 and about 300 calls were made to the Poisons Information Centre (PIC) with suspected mushroom poisoning.

"Any wild, unidentified mushroom can potentially be deadly, and the cooler and wetter weather conditions we're now seeing create the ideal growing environment for wild mushrooms," she said.

"Some wild mushrooms can cause...liver damage, kidney failure or even death, even if only a small piece is consumed."

If someone has eaten a wild mushroom contact the PIC on 13 11 26 or in an emergency call 000.

For more information visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/mushroompoisoning.