Eastern Eyre Football | PHOTOS

Kimba 22.17.149 def Ports 6.4.40

Cool conditions greeted players for the second round clash between Kimba Districts and Ports at the Corey Enright Oval.

Kimba came into the match without Reece Rayson, Darcy Noll and Jesse Kemp while Ports were without Tom Davey.

The first quarter saw Kimba get the opening goal of the match through Joel Fitzgerald, one of his three for the quarter.

Ports opened their account through two of their young guns.

Jake Turner chased down Dion Woolford and laid a great tackle inside Ports' forward 50, then passed to Thomas Laas who made no mistake.

The quarter was a real arm wrestle and a battle of the defences.

Ports' Sid Masters, coming back into the side from injury, was creating some headaches for the Tiger defence with some strong marking leading to a long range goal.

The second quarter saw Kimba take charge, adding six goals to Ports' one point.

Four of those goals were kicked by Fitzgerald.

Ryley Maitland, Dion Woolford and Dylan Bone were in everything for the Tigers and were continually driving Kimba forward, Ports were trying to hang on through Bishop, Lienert and Turner.

Unfortunately for Ports Sid Masters limped off with a leg injury late in the quarter.

The third quarter wasa scrappy affair with lots of turnovers.

Kimba got the first goal through Ben Clements after great work from Bone.

Kimba's defence was working well and provided plenty of run and drive.

Thomas Laas kicked his second for the match for Ports after some good work from Brad Hannemann.

Sid Masters, struggling with a leg injury, snapped a great goal over his head.

The Tigers had good players all over the ground, youngster Dusty Osborne and Bryce Hampel both gave plenty of drive off their respective wings, leading to two more goals to Joel Fitzgerald who was putting on a masterclass at full forward with strong leading and marking.

The last quarter was much of the same; Kimba continually drove the ball forward through the midfield.

Joel Fitzgerald bagged another couple and Ryley Maitland snapped a great goal out of the pack.

Ports responded through Jake Turner with an excellent running goal.

The game finished with late goals to Ben Lienert for Ports and to Macca Inglis and Kevin Dart for the Tigers.

Overall it was a strong win to the Tigers; Joel Fitzgerald made his 100th game for the club, one to remember with eleven goals and was Kimba's best, closely followed by Ryley Maitland, Dylan Bone and Dion Woolford.

Bryce Hampel was also good off his wing.

For Ports their best was Jake Turner who ran all day, ruckman Tyrone Bishop along with Ben Lienery and Brad Hannemann who didn't stop trying all day.

Peter Woolford

Cowell 1.2.8 def by Eastern Ranges 18.22.130

The farming community was thrilled with Saturday morning's cold and wet conditions, with passing showers leaving no one complaining other than those who forgot to take a jacket.

By the start of the A grade match however, the sky had mostly cleared making it a perfect autumn day for footy.

Going into Round Four of the EEFL fixture, the Cats side remained hopeful they could execute a well contested match against Ranges following the final result in Round One.

Unfortunately for the Cats A grade side, injuries continue to plague the team with several key players remaining on the sidelines, including star midfielder Todd Schumann, new recruit Mitch Gibbs, and tall man Tim Walsh who remains out for the season.

The start of the first quarter was like deja vu with the match playing out almost identically to the Anzac Day game four weeks ago.

Cowell managed to successfully attain the first clearance and a disposal into the forward fifty to Dylan Franklin, which saw the Cats score the opening goal for the quarter and match.

Unfortunately the excitement was short lived, as this would be the only goal Cowell could manage for the entire game.

Ranges responded quickly, scoring five goals consecutively, leaving a quarter time margin at Cowell 1.0.6 to Ranges %.3.33.

The biggest blow for the Cats came halfway through the first quarter when key player Nick Gale came to grief with fellow teammate Lewis Helps in a collision that was clearly audible from the sidelines.

Cats coaching staff will be closely monitoring the recovery of co-captain Nick Gale during the week as the loss of such a key player for the team will certainly make selections for next week challenging.

While Cowell remained competitive during the second quarter, they could not match the impressive fitness level of the Ranges team and only managed to contribute one point to their score line.

Once again Ranges played like the well-oiled unit they are, consistently winning centre clearances and easily hitting targets both around the ground and in the forward line, resulting in a half time score of 9.9.63 to 1.1.7.

Entering the third quarter, Cowell had quite a job ahead of them to get back into the game.

While it seemed impossible to many, this proved to be Cowell's best quarter of footy.

Ranges managed only two goals for the quarter as Cowell moved club stalwart Wayne Piggott into the backline to increase pressure alongside Locky and Zac Crabb, who had been standing firm in defence all day.

While the backline was working well to get the ball out, Cowell still struggled to locate targets in the forward line and remained scoreless for the third quarter.

Ranges took their performance to the next level in the last quarter, securing the match easily against a defeated Cowell side.

The final score was Ranges 18.22.130 to Cowell 1.2.8.

While Ranges clearly won the game with their match finesse, Cowell was able to provide solid contests and stoppages across the ground, even slowing down star centreman Jack Kenny for parts of the day.

With such a young side, Cowell has plenty to take away from this match to learn from seasoned players and improve decision making and ball handling when under pressure.

Best players for Cowell were Zac Crabb, Alec Klingberg, Dave Gray, Tyson Webb, Locky Crabb and Wayne Piggott.

Rowena Norris

This story Eastern Eyre Football | PHOTOS first appeared on Eyre Peninsula Tribune.