Construction of a new state-of-the-art Women's and Children's Hospital is one step closer after the South Australian Government assigned $550 million in the latest Budget to start the build.
There is also $537m allocated for health spending, including reactivating the Repatriation General Hospital site as a health precinct.
Country health and regional hospital infrastructure has been promised $14m each year for 10 years while rural project investments which will continue include Strathalbyn Aged Care ($10.5m, Murray Bridge Emergency Department ($4m), and Mount Gambier Renal Dialysis ($1.7m).
The Royal Flying Doctor Service South East will receive $387,000 from the Regional Growth Fund to develop a clinic which provides quality health services to remote communities.
Vehicle replacements for SA Ambulance will continue with $9m set aside for the ongoing program.
Health Minister Stephen Wade said health services would be enhanced in line with the correction of overspend from previous years.
We will work with the Local Health Networks and their Governing Boards to ensure they continue to deliver high quality, value for money services across the system," Mr Wade said.
"While SA Health continues to face budget challenges, including a projected overspend in 2018-19 of around $95 million, we have significantly rectified the financial trajectory for SA Health,and remain committed to implementing the reforms outlined in the 2018-19 Budget in order toachieve national average efficiency.
"With accountability fundamentally shifting to the Governing Boards, we are confident that each Local Health Network will deliver efficient, effective and sustainable health services.
"Meanwhile, we will continue to invest in our clinicians, services and world-class infrastructure to better support the health and wellbeing of all South Australians."
Regional health networks
The State Government has set targets for the coming financial year for local health networks which include -
Barossa Hills Fleurieu Local Health Network
- Plan the Strathalbyn 24 bed nursing home
- Determine the future of the Kalimna site
- Implement the Mount Barker Renal Service
- Develop a business case to assess the need and viability of a new Barossa Hospital
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Barossa Hills Fleurieu area
Eyre and Far North Local Health Network
- Implement medium level cancer services in Port Lincoln
- Expand renal services in Ceduna
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Upper Eyre Peninsula area
Flinders and Upper North Local Health Network
- Complete renal development works at the Whyalla Hospital
- Finalise the Whyalla/Port Augusta service planning project
- Commence planning for the Whyalla Emergency Department/High Dependency Unit redevelopment
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Flinders and Upper North area
Riverland Mallee Coorong Local Health Network
- Expand cancer services at the Riverland General Hospital
- Redevelop the Emergency Department and Central Sterile Supplies Department at the Murray Bridge Soldiers' Memorial Hospital.
- Establish a Magnetic Resonance Imaging unit at the Riverland General Hospital
- Establish and implement a regional community and consumer engagement strategy
- Establish and implement a regional clinical engagement strategy
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Riverland Mallee Coorong area
Limestone Coast Local Health Network
- Complete the Mount Gambier Renal Dialysis Unit at the Mount Gambier Hospital with an increase to six beds
- Implement the Limestone Coast Clinical Planning Framework
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Limestone Coast area.
Yorke and Northern Local Health Network
- Implement the Midwifery Caseload Model of Care Pilot in the Yorke and Northern region
- Complete the Yorketown Central Sterile Supply Department Upgrade and implement a sustainable model for procedural scope work
- Implement the Port Pirie Regional Health Service Nurse Led Ambulatory Service
- Undertake master planning at larger sites including Port Pirie and Wallaroo
- Support efforts for general practitioner recruitment and retention in the Yorke and Northern area