Marble Range top Boston in muddy conditions

LEAD: Marble Range's Kory Beard takes a mark on the lead from half forward in a hard-fought game against Boston at Wangary.

LEAD: Marble Range's Kory Beard takes a mark on the lead from half forward in a hard-fought game against Boston at Wangary.

Port Lincoln football

Marble Range 5-6 (36) def Boston 2-6 (18)

MARBLE Range picked up a much-needed win on Saturday, defeating Boston by three goals in wet and muddy conditions at Wangary.

Heavy rainfall overnight and throughout the day made the oval wet and muddy, especially in the goal squares which meant the ball would be hard to hold on to.

Rangers racked up inside 50s early through good clearance work with Lance Appleby and Wade Hansen setting themselves up for big days in the midfield.

However Boston's defence was proving a handful yet again with Mitchell Hall, Simon Bates and Jake Paterson intercepting the ball, as well as Mitchell Garrett who was attacking the ball off of half back.

Eventually Rangers got the breakthrough with a goal to Boyd West followed by one to Tynan Keeley, in what would prove to be his only major for the day.

Boston could not get the inside 50s and had trouble being effective with disposals but a 15 metre penalty to Aaron Dunn gave them their sole goal for the quarter to trail by five points at quarter time.

The Tigers started to find the 50 more in the second quarter but were repeatedly repelled by Glen Schreiber and Zac Calderwood in defence, who were assisted by the likes of Reece Francis and Kory Beard.

Boston eventually found the goal through the returning Callum Saunders, but this would prove to be the last Boston major for the whole game.

Rangers started to take control of play in the second half of the quarter but Boston's defence still proved problematic. A mistake with a kick in saw Billy Byass mark and line up for a goal, giving Marble Range a four-point lead at half time.

Play became a lot more congested and scrambly with the two teams fighting hard for possessions.

Rangers racked up inside 50s early, led by Hansen with his centre clearance work and Beard, who was now working off half forward and kicked the only goal for the quarter.

Possessions were hard to come by and turnovers were frequent.

Brodie Falciani was trying to lift Boston by taking on packs for the ball and Willy Woldt proved elusive with the ball, but Boston could only manage two behinds for the quarter as Rangers held an 11-point lead at the final break.

Boston were determined to get the majors they needed to have a chance at victory, but good defensive pressure from Rangers kept that from happening with Schreiber and Calderwood continuing to have an impact.

The teams fought for inside 50s but hard tackling and intercepted kicks lead to back and forth play throughout the middle. Rangers found the sealer with Beard setting up Blaze Kay for the goal.

It was not pretty but Rangers held on for the win


Discuss "Rangers on top in mud"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.