Plastic ban welcomed by local takeaway shop

A Port Lincoln takeaway shop is welcoming the single-use plastic ban despite using plastic themselves.

BAN: The Pantry staff members Zonia Thompson and Nick Williams show they're ready to use more recyclable products in the store and give up the old polystyrene containers.

BAN: The Pantry staff members Zonia Thompson and Nick Williams show they're ready to use more recyclable products in the store and give up the old polystyrene containers.

The state government is set to ban a range of single-use plastics after releasing their report Turning the Tide on Single Use Plastics: The Next Steps on July 6.

Community House manager Linda Davies said the takeaway store the Pantry, which the organisation has owned and run for the last 12 months, was ready for the change.

"We're keen to see this happen," she said.

"We are hoping with the state government behind it, prices (for recyclable products) will be more affordable for everybody, and we're hoping with the state government behind it people will make better choices."

The Pantry uses single-use plastics such as polystyrene takeaway containers, however Ms Davies said the priority had been facilitating employment for disadvantaged people.

"We have been operating it as it has been in the past and concentrating on other areas," she said.

"We have only just had a meeting regarding the change-over and we think it's great for us because we were ready to change anyway.

It's time everyone got proactive and productive in this area because this world is worth saving.

Linda Davies

"The environment is a huge part of having a strong community...it's time everyone got proactive and productive in this area because this world is worth saving."

She said she hoped with government support small businesses would be able to make the changes affordably.

Environment and Water Minister David Speirs said the government received strong community feedback.

"Nearly 99 per cent of respondents recognised the environmental problems associated with single-use plastics and nearly 97 per cent supported government intervention," he said.

The government will first ban plastic straws, cutlery and stirrers, after consultation and a suitable transition period.

Polystyrene containers and cups will be phased out next.

South Australian Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the ban showed "real leadership".

"I will be writing to Prime Minister Scott Morrison to encourage him to follow the lead of South Australians."

The government will release draft legislation before introducing it to parliament in 2020.