Tumby too strong for Ramblers again

Tumby too strong for Ramblers again

Great Flinders Football 

Tumby Bay 9-4 (58) def Ramblers 5-5 (35)

STRONG north winds greeted both sides, as Tumby Bay made their way over the hill to meet Ramblers in Cummins.

With one win apiece between these two bitter rivals, this match was always going to be played with plenty on the line.

Ramblers won the toss and kicked to the southern end with a strong advantage as the wind continued to lift.

A characteristic start to the game as both sides tried to gain the upper hand in the centre early.

Tumby then struck first into the howling winds with great run and carry up the ground to force a boundary throw in, which Chris Bawden was able to snap and find the middle for a very important goal.

Ramblers had some good play but failed to get any decent movements deep inside their forward lines.

Seven minutes in, a Ramblers' player was yellow carded which instantly freed up a Tumby backman.

Tumby then struck first into the howling winds with great run and carry up the ground to force a boundary throw in, which Chris Bawden was able to snap and find the middle for a very important goal.

Jagga Cross was providing mercurial run through the ground while Harry Ford continuously mopped up down the back as Tumby Bay continued to punch hard into the wind.

With just four points to the scoreboard Ramblers would have been disappointed not to utilise the wind advantage for the quarter.

Tumby hit the second quarter running with a long bomb goal from Jackson Murphy.

Tumby were using the wind well with Jordon Hind getting onto to another bomb to snag a third major for his side.

Hind's impact running out of the contest was starting to have an influence on the game.

Ramblers were trying to work it far enough forward but Joe Walker was plugging everything along, with Archie Harris and Reece Gerrie both rebounding well.

It was coming in thick and fast to the Ramblers defence with Scott Blacker and Rob Shirley holding out the quarter strong.

Ramblers had a chance to get one back when they randomly found Tom Haarsma up forward 30 metres out.

He will be making a sturdy donation to the footy trip as he failed to register a score booting it out on the full.

Tumby went into the long break three goals up.

Loose checking in the Tumby goal square saw Harry Degner kick an easy goal four minutes into the third quarter.

A few minutes later he had another as he marked strongly 10 metres out.

Early signs were Tumby might run away with it.

A desperate tackle by young Tom Crettenden and Ramblers were finally able to register a goal after he kicked truly.

Matthew Hartwig was looking dangerous up forward for Tumby and after a strong pack mark was able to convert from 40 metres.

A yellow card to a Tumby player saw Ramblers gain some momentum.

Three goals in a row through Jesse Rule, Crettenden for his second and George Pedler, meant Ramblers were able to bring the margin back to 10 points at the last break.

All Ramblers good work in the third was undone as an early 50 metre saw Hartwig deliver to Cross who took the margin out to 17 points.

Ramblers were able to scrag back a goal through the slick assassin Michael Franklin, gliding through traffic to find Pedler for his second.

Walker steadied the ship as he launched a monster goal from a set shot to take the margin back out.

Tempers finally boiled over as a scuffle broke out and a few players were sent to the bench with their days done.

With the game all but won, Hind kicked the sealer to have Tumby Bay run out winners by 23 points.

Tumby Bay were well served by Hind, Walker, Murphy and Hartwig while Ramblers battled on through Liam Sampson, George Pedler and Ford.

Times scribe votes: Jordon Hind, 3; Joe Walker, 2; Jackson Murphy, 1.

Cummins-Kapinnie Cougars 17-14 (116) def Lock 5-5 (35)

The Lock Roos took on Cougars at Kapinnie with a strong north wind blowing across the well-manicured grass.

Cougars captain Levi Konitzka won the toss and elected to kick to the favoured southern end.

In a determined effort by the Lock boys they more than matched Cougars all over the ground to keep them to five goals while kicking a valuable goal from an acute angle to Thomas Kammerman.

Nick Ridgway for Cougars in the back half was a standout while Flynn Paech up forward looked to be up and about.

With the wind at their back, Lock applied the pressure in the second quarter giving Luke Northcott opportunities up forward to bag a couple of goals.

Halfway through the quarter Cougars seemed to find a gear to dominate the middle with Duncan Cragg-Sapsford giving first use to the likes of Konitzka and Bradley Hazelgrove.

Cougars scored three goals into the wind to go into the half-time break leading 7-5 to Lock's 4-3.

With Lock well and truly in the game, Cougars played a great third term to kick seven goals to Lock's one goal.

Flynn Paech and Sam Ness had a field day up forward while Hazelgrove knocked up plenty of possessions in the middle.

The last quarter played out with Cougars kicking three more into the dying breeze while Lock, although well beaten, did their best.

Lock's Justin Beard held Dylan Wandner to three goals while Sam Britza, Andrew Heath, Tim Boehm and Harrison Wright all played well.

For Cougars' Cragg-Sapsford gave his side first use of the ball all day in a dominant display of ruck work and Flynn Paech showed four quarters of clever, creative forward play.

Hazelgrove also provided some polish when he got his kicking boot on.

In Cougars' defence Nick Ridgway was superb in the first half of the match, when it mattered, and Damon Scott was strong all day.