Wagner's six sink Souths

DISPOSAL: Lincoln South's Greg Rowley gets his handball away before Tasman's Billy Haebich could get the tackle.
DISPOSAL: Lincoln South's Greg Rowley gets his handball away before Tasman's Billy Haebich could get the tackle.

Port Lincoln football

Tasman 18-14 (122) def Lincoln South 5-4 (34)

BRACING conditions met both teams on Saturday with the Roosters welcoming back Matt James for his milestone 300th game.

The Red and Whites were up and about early with Ben Daniels making the most of Rhys Kelsh's dominance in ruck and laser-like delivery from Brodie White and Rhys Beinke to kick three goals in the first quarter.

Paul White, Luke Wilkins and Aiden Baker were battling away for the Eagles but the quarter time score was Tasman 7-1 to South 2-2.

The second quarter was another tough one for Souths with Ben Shillabeer and Jamie Kidney finding it hard to get a regular supply into their forward line and finding it difficult to match up to the height and strength of the 'Smash Brothers' Brent Harris and Cody Mason.

Yoey Wagner terrorized the Eagle defence with his pace and accuracy. At half time the scores stood at Tasman 11-2 to Souths 3-2.

The third quarter saw the Eagles apply more pressure with wayward kicking by Tasman, who added 3-8 and Souths three straight goals.

Aiden Baker with his strength and the outstanding abilities of Dylan Blewit and Brodie Drewitt added credibility to the score line.

Tyson Jenner and Corrie Milligan were working hard and defensively the miserly Matt Dodd and Craig Reinke were at their best.

The final quarter saw the temperature and intensity drop with Souths unable to kick a major while the Roosters managed four goals to run out victors.

Best for Souths were White, Baker, Wilkins, Shillabeer for his three goals, Drewitt and D. Blewit, while best for Tasman were White, Harris, Wagner with his six goals, Mason, Jenner and Milligan.

The undoubted star of the day was Matthew James for his 300 games with a well-deserved send off by both sides at games end.

Mallee Park 16-20 (116) def Boston 7-8 (50)

Mallee Park's attack and effective disposals through the midfield contributed to an 11-goal win against Boston at Poole Oval.

Play was mostly contested and scrambly in the centre square throughout the game but the Peckers made the most of contests with outlying players providing an option to run and carry.

The Peckers had a slight edge on inside 50s in the first quarter and made them count, slotting seven goals including two from Malcolm Miller.

Boston scored their sole goal through Otis Carter as the Tigers had a tough task setting up opportunities against effective defenders Troy Simpson and Quade Ware. The latter starred with his attack of the footy off half back, driving several attacking runs off the back half.

Also starring were Waylon Miller who displayed great speed down the wing and David Murray got involved in contests and was clearing the ball out the centre, also scoring one goal.

Leading by 40 points at quarter time, the Peckers managed the first five inside 50s despite kicking into the breeze but could only score three behinds.

Boston displayed great defensive pressure.

Mitchell Hall was again a standout in causing turnovers while Mitchell Garrett and Sam Beare presented well and got into the contests to help drive the ball out of defence.

Boston had a better quarter despite the Peckers having double the inside 50s, scoring goals through Jake Paterson, Simon Bates and a second for Carter while the Peckers scored two of their own through Hippy Wanganeen and Ali Johncock to lead by 35 points at half time.

With the wind, the Peckers took back control of the attack and clearances from Murray and Kingsley Bilney Jnr helped them get the lion's share of scoring shots.

Now in the forward line, W. Miller scored three straight goals and the Peckers added another two while Carter scored Boston's only goal of the quarter. The Peckers led by 62 points at the final break.

The Peckers continued to control the play in the middle, however could not punish Boston further on the scoreboard. A combination of Tigers' defensive pressure and wayward kicking resulted in 2-6 for the quarter, including a fourth for the day for A. Johncock.

Boston kicked two more goals for the game, including a fourth for Carter who had a great day in the forward 50 as the Peckers ran away to win by 66 points.