Western United seals back-to-back premierships with massive win

Western United has confirmed its dominance of the Far West Football League thanks to a 108-point A grade grand final thrashing of the Blues at the Far West Aboriginal Sporting Complex on Saturday.

Westies pulled clear after quarter-time to cap off a superb undefeated season and defend their premiership crown with a 24-14 (158) to 7-8 (50) result.

Player-coach Jesse Chandler was named the best on ground after his nine-goal performance, while Kane Dunn kicked five.

The Blues came into the match on the back of five wins from the past six matches and kicked the first goal of the grand final, however the lead changed hands throughout the first quarter as Westies' 100-goal man Jarden Stoetzer was forced off with an injury.

A goal just before the siren from Haydn Amery put the Blues within two points at the first break.

Yet it was all Western United in the second term as the favourites raced ahead with seven goals to two behinds - including three for Chandler - to lead by 45 points at half-time.

The Tigers ended any chance of a Blues comeback with the opening three goals of the third term, and they finished the quarter with six compared to two for the Blues.

That extended the lead to 67 points, with Western United kicking four goals either side of two majors for the Blues in the fourth term to push the final margin into triple figures and seal a 10th premiership.

In the B grade, Western United took the title in yet another thriller against Koonibba.

Having won by three points in last year's decider, the Tigers this time triumphed by four points as it ended 7-10 (52) to 7-6 (48).

The Roosters had won every match coming into the grand final and grabbed the first two goals, only for scores to be level at quarter-time as Westies hit back.

Koonibba shaded the second term with two goals to one for a four-point lead, however the Tigers showed their mettle with a fine third quarter in what was a tight game.

They kicked three goals to Koonibba's one to lead by 12 points at the last break.

The Roosters struck first to reduce the deficit only for Isaak Kugena's to push the margin back out to 10 points.

Koonibba pushed for a way through and did grab another goal through Shaquille Kruger, but could not hit the middle in the final moments to suffer another heartbreaking loss.

Best on ground Harlee Chandler and Jarrad Kenchington kicked two apiece for Western United, matched by Koonibba pair Edwin Gray and Stuart Baker.

Koonibba had joy in the under 17 clash, defeating Thevenard by 39 points.

Jaziah Miller kicked four goals as the Roosters won 9-7 (61) to 3-4 (22).

They started well to kick the opening three goals, although Thevenard hit back before the siren to trail by 12 points.

The margin was further reduced early in the second term before Koonibba steadied to kick the next three goals.

They grabbed the only two goals of the third term to lead by 38 points at three-quarter time, with the teams kicking a goal apiece in the fourth quarter.

Malaki O'Loughlin was named the best on ground as the Roosters celebrated a first colts premiership since 2014.

The under 14 premiership was easily won by the Blues, who defeated Koonibba by 63 points.

Parker Fawcett booted four goals in the 10-8 (68) to 0-5 (5) victory to return to the crown to the Blues, who won in 2017 but lost last year's grand final.

The Blues led by 27 points at half-time after kicking two goals in each of the opening two terms, before breaking clear with four goals once play resumed.

They finished the match with another two majors and fittingly Fawcett kicked the final goal.

Kade Maddigan was named the best on ground.

This story Golden day for Westies | PHOTOS first appeared on West Coast Sentinel.