Knights maintain record

Port Lincoln soccer

Sekol Masters lost to Lincoln City Raiders 0-3

COLD and windy conditions welcomed the teams to Kirton Oval for the final round of the league.

Both Sekol and Raiders were out to enjoy themselves before hanging up the boots for the end of the 2019 season.

With many players already away on holidays, Sekol were struggling to fill a team and had a few under 15 players join the side in Kyle Turner and Kaden Doudle.

Both juniors played some good, mature soccer, which was great to see in the big league.

With only 10 men, Sekol were on the defensive early, with Raiders, having the floating player, pushing several forays at goals but not capitalising.

A goal came at the 20-minute mark as Danyan Nisbet was able to shake off the defence and calmly slot the ball just inside the post.

The game settled for the rest of the half with Sekol managing to get more possession.

Kris Kolega and Kosta Sheehy were strong in the midfield and helped set up a few chances but could not find an equaliser.

The second half started off the way the first finished and a determined Sekol were still feeling they were in with a chance.

Raiders started to dominate early with the extra man and Sekol were starting to tire.

Deven Canty was having a great game in the Raiders' engine room and helped lead the charge.

Another goal came after a run down the right wing by Corey Scott.

With good skill he rounded a defender and on his left slotted a great shot into the top corner from the edge of the penalty box.

Sekol nearly scored from a corner kick with the ball ricocheting between players in front of goal before being cleared to safety.

The third goal for Raiders came after a cracking shot from outside the box was gallantly saved by keeper Kieren Hall.

The ball rebounded on the goal line and Nisbet was on the spot to coax it in.

Nisbet almost had his hat-trick a short time later but his effort hit the outside of the post.

Despite playing the entirety of the game a man short, Sekol fought right to the end and the evergreen Kris Kolega was at the heart of it, keeping the Masters' midfield ticking over.

For Raiders, Danyan Nisbet impressed in a more advanced role than usual and was unlucky not to net himself a hat-trick.

The Pizzeria Trieste player of the match went to Deven Canty, who, time after time, picked the ball up from midfield and drove at the Masters team propelling the Raiders into attack.

South Coast lost to Lincoln Knights 0-2

South Coast and Lincoln Knights wrapped up the league season in a game that had little bearing on the standings.

With both teams already qualified for this week's cup final it was a case of which team would gain the momentum going into the season finale.

Both teams rested several players with more than one eye firmly on the cup final and unfortunately for the neutral, the game did not reach any great heights as a result.

Knights had the advantage of kicking with the wind in the first half and went on the attack from the outset.

Farr was providing a focal point for the ball into the forward line and the smaller attackers, Price and Paperstergou, were combining together well.

South Coast were playing on the counter but were struggling to make any headway against a well-organised Knights' defence led by the experienced Hennell and well supported by Harkness and Treagus.

Hammond broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when he cut back onto his left foot from the right edge of the penalty area and curled his shot over the keeper.

It was no less than Knights deserved as they had been the more positive side going forward to this point.

When the teams changed ends, South Coast showed more attacking intent and chances came and went for Decoster and Hall.

Knights regained control of the midfield battle through Matthews and Hammond as South Coast's Thom left the field through injury midway through the second half and must be considered doubtful for the cup final.

The South Coast defence were coming under more pressure as the game wore on and stand-in goalie Forbes had to rescue the Coasters on numerous occasions from falling further behind Knights.

In the final minutes of the game Frears secured the points for Knights when he was on hand to volley the ball home after the South Coast defence failed to clear a corner kick.

The result confirmed Knights' good record this season over the league champions, having only suffered defeat once in five meetings and will rightly go into the cup final with plenty of confidence.

In a game that at times struggled for quality, South Coast's Leon Duns and Knights' Saxon Treagus were among their sides' best players.

Luke Frears took his chance and scored his first goal of the campaign and was also awarded with the Pizzeria Trieste player of the match.

Cup final day

This Sunday will see the end of season cup finals take place for under 12, under 15 and A grade at Kirton Point Oval.

Gates open at 10am with free entry all day.

11.00am - Under 12

Sekol Masters v South Coast

12.30pm - Under 15

Lincoln City Raiders v Lincoln Knights

2pm - A grade

Lincoln Knights v South Coast