UPDATE: Port Lincoln fire contained

CFS advises that the Duck Ponds fire on the outskirts of Port Lincoln is now contained.

Fire activity and weather conditions on the fireground have abated with decreasing winds, rising relative humidity and low temperatures providing relief to firefighting efforts.

Multiple CFS crews have been working overnight to strengthen the fire edge.

Replacement CFS, MFS and National Parks crews are heading to the fireground.

Hot spots and burning trees within the fireground are likely to burn for several days and may produce smoke.

Aircraft will conduct an assessment of the fireground this morning.

A Rapid Damage Assessment Team has arrived in Port Lincoln and will be conducting assessments of properties impacted by this fire today.

The public are asked to avoid the area. Emergency vehicles area operating in this area and smoke is still present, reducing visibility on some roads. Please drive to the conditions.

For updates visit the CFS website (www.cfs.sa.gov.au) or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.

WHAT TO DO:

  • Check and follow your Bushfire Survival Plan
  • Decide what you will do if the situation changes
  • Look and listen for information on television, radio, internet, mobile phones and by speaking with neighbours

KEEP UP TO DATE:

Monday 8.45pm

Firefighters have stopped the forward spread of a fire burning on the outskirts of Port Lincoln.

CFS, MFS and Department for Environment and Water crews are continuing to extinguish the fire edge and CFS Region Six regional commander Gavin Warnes said the fire was still a threat.

The Duck Ponds stubble fire near Western Approach Road has burnt more than 280 hectares and is still uncontrolled.

It is burning in a north easterly direction toward Kurara Road, Robertson Road and the Flinders Highway and conditions are continually changing.

Mr Warnes said there were unconfirmed reports some property had been lost but the CFS would have a better idea of the extent of the damage tomorrow.

He said about 25 appliances were fighting the fire and they hoped to get the fire under control tonight, with relief crews coming in.

He said the weather was cooling down with winds set to drop off and cooler temperatures forecast tomorrow.

Mr Warnes said the threat was abating but the fire was still a threat and he urged residents who had a fire plan to enact it.

An evacuation centre has been opened at the Kirton Bowling Club with Housing SA and St John onsite.

The CFS watch and act message urges residents to take action now as the bushfire may threaten people's safety.

If you are not prepared, leave now and if the path is clear, go to a safer place. Do not enter this area as conditions are dangerous.

Road closures are still in place and drivers are urged to observe and obey any directions.

For updates the CFS recommends to listen to the local ABC radio station on a battery powered radio, visit the CFS website at www.cfs.sa.gov.au or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.

Crews were alerted to the fire at 4.03pm and the CFS said it was spotted by aircraft.

Mr Warnes said there would be an investigation into the cause of the fire but it was unknown at this stage.