AN investigation is underway today to determine the cause of a fire that tore through scrub and properties on the outskirts of Port Lincoln yesterday.
The fire was contained overnight but ground crews will spend today strengthening the fire edge, patrolling and mopping up.
A Rapid Damage Assessment Team arrived in Port Lincoln overnight and were out on the fire ground this morning assessing properties impacted by the fire.
CFS Region Six regional commander Gavin Warnes said conditions on Monday at about 4pm when the initial call came through saw the fire quickly escalate.
Mr Warnes said up to five structures, including houses and sheds, had been destroyed in the fire.
Two people, including a firefighter, were also taken to hospital with minor injuries.
"We stood up as an entire region yesterday so we were prepared, we were ready if there was a fire."
Mr Warnes said the 60 km/h plus winds made the fire "quite ferocious" and difficult for crews to contain.
"The fire rapidly grew due to the strong winds," he said.
"Anything in 60km/h plus winds we're going to struggle with... it's the sort of fire where crews can't get in to control it."
Mr Warnes said about 25 appliances and 80 to 100 personnel were on the ground fighting the fire yesterday.
"We ended up with eight water bombers, we had four here on standby due to the elevated risk but we got another four in pretty quickly," he said.
He said the aircraft remained on Eyre Peninsula today and would assist ground crews in the mop up and patrol.
Mr Warnes said due to the favourable conditions they were starting to pull back a bit but would still have patrols and night shift crews at the fire ground for the next day or two.