Special day for Port Lincoln Special School | GALLERY

Port Lincoln Special School gave a platform for its students to show their talents, and acknowledge the hard work of those within the school at its Christmas Concert and Awards presentation on Thursday afternoon.

The school showcased Christmas-themed skits include musical performances, joke telling and plays featuring the students.

Principal Matt Syme said staff spent four weeks getting students prepared for their skits.

He said the school's Governing Council also decided to combine the concert with this year's school awards presentation.

"The Governing Council pushed to have the Christmas Concert and the award ceremony together this year as we didn't have any students graduating," he said.

Mr Syme said all feedback about the concert had been "really positive" and it was great to see the audience gain an appreciation for the students' hard work and ability to get up on stage and perform.

Following the performances awards were presented.

First student Rebecca Southam received the Peter Treloar Parliamentary Medallion in recognition of her perseverance and resilience.

Next was the Dwayne Kelly Memorial Award, presented by family member Edna Carthew, which recognised students with a kind, gentle character with Dani Johnson named as this year's winner.

Volunteer Mario Antolini received the Port Lincoln Special School Governing Council Award for his work as a volunteer at the school, which included helping to fix and maintain equipment.

Finally, in recognition of her leadership, Sharon Phillips received the Rowan Ramsey MP School Community Award.

"It's pretty important for our staff, our volunteers and our students to be recognised in this way," Mr Syme said.

The school also farewelled former and current staff members who were moving on from the community or heading to new schools.

Former principal Clare Harris, who was an apology as she was in Wudinna on the day. was thanked for her four and a half years of service to the school.

Tania Jones was also an apology but was thanked for her 32 years of service and support provided to students and parents.

Finally Reah Fuller was on hand to receive a bouquet of flowers and was thanked for her work as she moves on to a permanent position at another school.