Port Lincoln short film event cancelled for 2020

CEREMONY: Telene Clarke,accepts the Raine and Horne Peoples Choice Award at last year's FAME Awards. Photo: Take 2 Photography
CEREMONY: Telene Clarke,accepts the Raine and Horne Peoples Choice Award at last year's FAME Awards. Photo: Take 2 Photography

The Film and Music Entertainment (FAME) Awards has been cancelled for 2020, but aspiring filmmakers are encouraged to use the time off to develop bigger and better ideas for next year.

The Port Lincoln City Band announced on Friday the FAME Awards, planned for July 24 at the Nautilus Arts Centre was cancelled.

The city band cited that due to COVID 19 restrictions the band had not been able to rehearse together or include any other community groups in the preparations for the show, and when the decision was made, there was still strict social distancing requirements making it difficult to hold an audience at the show.

City band president Valerie Staunton said the event was the band's major fundraiser for the year so it left it in a difficult position but the committee had committed to other fundraising initiatives to get through until 2021 when the awards would return.

"Whilst we would like to push through and deliver the event this year, the restrictions, the unknowns and the lack of rehearsal time for the band, the dancers, the actors would affect the quality of the show," she said.

"We like to deliver a high quality performance so we will ensure that the extra time is used to ensure 2021 the greatest show ever."

The band will work towards an extra special show in 2021 and is encouraging the public to spend the extra time to work on their entries for next year for the Music Video and Short Film categories.

Local filmmaker Mark Thomas from Missing Link Media is also encouraging people to use the time to come up with bigger and better ideas for next year's award.

Mr Thomas, who sponsors the 'Industry Incentive Award' with Paul Rohan from OnEyre, said it was a great opportunity to use the extra time to make a really impressive short movie.

"It's disappointing this event has been cancelled but it's perfectly understandable, there's too many unknowns," he said.

Mr Thomas said he and Mr Rohan were set to continue supporting up and coming filmmakers and to sponsor the incentive award next year.