Rock throwing incidents reported in Port Lincoln

A resident has shared her safety concerns and has suggested measures including a curfew after having rocks thrown at her car.

On July 6, the woman, who did not wish to be named, was driving along Adelaide Place about 9.30pm when she heard a bang on the passenger side door. She said she had looked along Adelaide Place, but was unable to see anything.

Then, when she turned into Cranston Street, she spotted a group of about 8-10 youths of different backgrounds which she reported to police.

"If it hit the window, it would have ended up in my lap or hit the side of my head because it was thrown hard enough to leave a dent," she said.

She said this was not the first time she had rocks thrown at her car, with an incident happening about four years ago at the Lebrun Street-Verran Terrace intersection involving gravel thrown at her car.

She said other people had experience similar incidents and measures including a curfew should be looked at.

"I can't see any reason for 12-year-olds, 14-year-olds and up to 16-year-olds to be wandering the streets," she said.

An SA Police spokesperson said police had received several reports of rocks being thrown at cars in the Port Lincoln area last month, including the incident on July 6, but the suspect was not located.

Anyone who sees objects being thrown at moving vehicles should immediately call 000 or, for any suspicious activity seen near the roads, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Police are also encouraging parents to have a conversation with their children about appropriate behaviour in public, particularly during school holidays.

West Coast Youth and Community Support chief executive officer Jo Clark said it was important for people to report incidents so this information could be funneled through to groups like the Vulnerable Families and Young People's Framework and other support services.

She said this could help target support where it was needed, including hot spot locations.