Port Lincoln High School is looking very different as some old buildings have been cleared to make way for new, bigger facilities as part of a $15 million upgrade.
Demolition of old school buildings began on June 29 to make way for new school buildings as it prepares for the year 7 transition in 2022, which will see 320 new students join the high school.
Buildings including the portable classrooms at the back of the school, the canteen building and the old music house were demolished with buildings including a new year 7 building, a new canteen space and a specialist building with art, language learning areas and a special education annex.
High school principal Todd George said with demolition complete there was now a three week delay as final tenders were being finalised with construction to staring in three week's time.
"Work is on time and due to be completed in December 2021," he said.
Mr George said the temporary buildings located at the back of the school had been on site since the early 1960s and were originally placed there as part of a 10 year project but a permanent building that was commissioned to be located on the site was never built.
With the old classrooms now demolished the school is adapting with education delivery as works continue.
Mr George said the schold has had to "squeeze" students and staff into every available learning space in what was a short term situation leading to the completion of a project with long term benefits.
"It will be 18 months of pain but we're now going to have benefits for the school upwards of 40 years," he said.
The upgrade was made possible thanks to the state government's capital works program which saw $37.6 million being spent for projects across five South Australian schools.