Tasman remain unbeaten against low scoring Rangers

TASMAN 9.9 (63) DEF MARBLE RANGE 5.1 (31)

Tasman proved against Marble Range they deserved to be favourites for the flag this year with a polished and disciplined game plan.

The Rangers on the other hand have been hit hard with injuries also trying to fit everybody in within the points system is going to be their major problem.

Tasman had first use of the wind and did all the attacking and kicked three goals for the quarter, one each to Jarred Seal, Johann Wagner and Stephen Crettenden.

It could have been a lot more if it had not been for Reece Francis taking three strong marks in the backlines but the Rangers' disposals did not help, kicking the ball out on the full five times in the quarter.

The second quarter started quickly for Tasman as they worked the ball skillfully into the wind and scored two quick goals through S. Crettenden and Wagner.

From that moment the Rangers suddenly came alive with some great football as they lifted right around the ground with Tynan Keeley the dominant player, kicking four goals for the quarter.

Jaxon Bennett and Ned Brooks rebounded the ball from the backlines along with Wade Hansen, young Gil Casanova was a live wire up forward while Casey Amos, Joe Burgoyne and Lance Appleby in the middle were on top to see Rangers go in at half time a goal down. Tasman 5.3 (33) to Marble Range 4.0 (24).

The third quarter saw both sides play attacking football, three goals for the quarter showed how tight the game was as two of these goals were frees in the goal squares.

Players like Jesse Chandler, Jarred Seal and Tyson Jenner were exerting pressure on the Rangers.

Francis was still holding steady in the backlines but Tasman appeared to have more options up forward and went into three quarter time with a three goal lead.

The last quarter was similar to the third as it became a battle of the backlines as Brad Masters was impassable after half time, Cooper Perham and Boyd McCurry were leading by example and Brent 'Plugger' Harris in his second game for the year had played well.

The Rangers did fight the game out better than they have of late but when you only kick one goal in three quarters of football you are always going to be in trouble.

Tasman were untroubled to win by 32 points, the final score saw Tasman 9.9 to Marble Range 5.1.

The Rangers need to fix up their forward structure as kicking goals wins games.

Best for the Roosters was not easy as they had a lot of good players on the day, Seal, Jenner and Chandler could have been any one of their club's best, Masters for his second half and Perham will hopefully be a 150-200 gamer for his club.

The Rangers were best served by their oldest and most experienced player in Francis as he is in career best form, organising the Rangers' backline.

Bennett has been a revelation since arriving at the Rangers, Hansen is like a bottle of red maturing with age, young Casanova, now he is getting more game time is showing faith in the selectors while Appleby, Burgoyne and Keeley with his four goals were all serviceable.

LINCOLN SOUTH 20.13 (133) DEF BOSTON 5.6 (36)

These two teams were going to go in hard to get a much needed win, for Boston it was for win number one and for Lincoln South it was number two and a firm grip on their top four spot.

Souths got a few inside 50s early but the Tiger defenders impressed early, in particular Levi Brown who was setting up for a great game with his run of the ball out of the defensive 50.

A free kick to Malcolm Miller, playing his first game for Boston since 2015 got Boston the first goal of the game however soon a free kick up the other end to Jake Turner gave Souths a response.

The remaining goals for the quarter went the Eagles' way with one to captain Luke Wilkins who led by example in the middle in finding space and providing an option, and two from Scott Young who was proving to be a strong mark and an accurate kick. Souths would lead by three goals at quarter time.

Boston had a chance to get a goal on the board early but missed and as has been the case many times this season, they forfeited a goal off a rebound from the 50 as Turner and Levi McDonald set up Young for his third.

Souths were setting up their inside 50s from the centre as Hayden Carey shined with his stellar tap work while Kingsley Bilney Jnr tried to make the most of his centre clearance, Wilkins continued to stay around the ball and get it back in Eagle hands and Mitch Jolly provided plenty of run down the wing.

However Boston kept competitive applying tackling pressure, Sanjayson Hanuman and Raheem Betts linked up well to move the ball through the midfield and in defence Adam Davies helped turn play back in Boston's favour while the Browns, Levi and Billy also made life hard for the South forwards.

Peppered among Young's two second quarter goals were a pair of Boston majors, one to Ollie Sellen who continues to build experience as a key forward and to Miller after taking a fantastic one-handed mark.

However Souths finished the quarter strong piling on another four goals, including two from Brodie Drewitt who was proving to be another reliable target up forward.

The final goal of the quarter went to Ben Shillabeer who, despite being a bit banged up and was bandaged after going off with the blood rule, continued to make his presence known and was a strong mark of the ball.

Souths blew their lead out to 47 points at half time, 11.3 (69) to Boston 3.4 (22).

A fifth goal to Young at the start of the quarter was a sign of further things to come as Souths put their foot on the accelerator.

Bilney was really opening up scoring opportunities with his clearance work while Waylon Miller used his speed around the packs to get the ball out of danger and get it towards the 50, scoring a goal of his own.

Meanwhile in defence Souths were not giving Boston an inch, as Darryl Dudley, Paul White, Camden Madden and Aiden Baker helped limit Boston shots at goal, and in particular David Murray got Souths charging towards the forward 50 with his attack of the ball.

A third goal for Drewitt and two goals to Carey off a pair of costly free kicks hurt Boston further but the Tigers got some rewards with a goal each to Betts and Callum Binder.

The Tigers were also hurting physically with injuries to Mitch Hall and Levi Brown as they went into the fourth quarter with a 68-point deficit.

Boston had no real answer in the fourth quarter as the Eagles, despite Miller trying to lift his team through the middle and efforts from the likes of Tyler Franklin and Riley Doolan got Boston through the middle a few times.

But it was all Souths in the final quarter, a strong midfield combination of Bilney, Jolly, Wilkins and W. Miller was too good and uncontested possessions racked up for the Eagles.

Murray and Dudley was coming into the middle off the back half to keep the ball far from Boston's sticks and this all combined to give Souths 4.5 for the quarter while Boston were kept scoreless. Souths ran away 97-point winners, Young top scoring with six goals for the day.