Tasman earn narrow win, Wayback run away to win by 77

BOOT: Tasman's Tyson Jenner gets his kick away as Lincoln South's Luke Wilkins looks on.

BOOT: Tasman's Tyson Jenner gets his kick away as Lincoln South's Luke Wilkins looks on.


TASMAN 11.5 (71) DEF LINCOLN SOUTH 10.8 (68)

Tasman held on for a hard fought and narrow win against a determined Lincoln South team.

For Tasman Brodie White and Stephen Crettenden were good early, a goal to Johann Wagner and a series of passes starting with White and ending with Kody Rosalia, and a goal saw Tasman first on the board.

Waylon Miller and Kingsley Bilney Jnr used their pace to see the ball up forward for Swayne Ackland to goal.

Luke Wilkins was rewarded with a great tackle and goaled, and after a great dash out of the backline by David Murray to Camden Madden and onto Bilney to goal. The first quarter saw Souths up by one goal, 4.2 (26) to Tasman 3.1 (19).

The second quarter saw the game seesaw between half back lines until Bilney goaled. The defences of both sides were working overtime as Aiden Baker, Darryl Dudley and Murray were good for Souths while for Tasman Nathan Frost and Matthew Crettenden were also playing well.

Young players in Madden of Souths and Billy Haebich for Tasman came into their own this quarter.

At the half time break Tasman had wrestled back the lead after Rosalia kicked his second for the match and Dom Denton also goaled. At half time Tasman led 6.3 (39) to Souths 5.4 (34).

With the game still swinging back and forward, the Eagles' Kerren Hall was thrown into the ruck and young players of both sides showed great maturity this quarter as the two Coopers in Perham and Tansell for Tasman and Souths' Madden and Brodie Drewitt threw their bodies on the line for their teams.

Highlight of the match this quarter saw Jake Turner take a run down the wing with four to five bounces to kick a wonderful goal.

A free to Boyd McCurry in front of goal and a back kick in from a behind saw Tasman get a couple of easy goals and go into the final quarter with a two-goal lead.

Tasman started the last quarter into attack after good play by Jesse Chandler to get the ball to Seal, only to see him spray his shot for goal which would have given his side a handy lead, but the ball was worked up to the Eagles' goal by Wilkins and Paul White to see Scott Young snap a goal.

Souths then snatched the lead by by a point when Hall kicked a goal from 45 out. Souths were doing all the attacking but two strong marks by Matthew Crettenden in the goal square held their attacks up.

With the score changing from team to team Hall had the chance to seal the game for the Eagles but was off line to see the Roosters gain a narrow victory by three points.

For the winners Frost and Matthew Crettenden were good in defence, White around the ground, Chandler, Haebich and Tyson Jenner were all consistent all day.

The Eagles' two speedsters in Miller and Bilney could not be separated, Ben Shillabeer whether in ruck or down forward impressed, the two W's in White and Wilkins have been consistent this year while Turner covers a lot of ground on his wing every week.

In a game which at times was physical with a lot of pressure on all players, it was well umpired by all three.

POCKET: Boston's Malcolm Miller secures the ball ahead of Wayback's Seth Meyers.

POCKET: Boston's Malcolm Miller secures the ball ahead of Wayback's Seth Meyers.

WAYBACK 21.13 (139) DEF BOSTON 9.8 (62)

Wayback looked to stamp their dominance early in this match at Poole Oval against the winless Boston and earned the first few inside 50s.

A key part of their attack was the combined ruck efforts of Sam Heinjus and Levi Konitzka who helped to give the Demon midfielders first option.

The first goal did not happen thanks to some good defensive pressure from Boston but Rory Hunt would get Wayback's first major, capitalising off a dropped mark, a valiant effort from Billy Brown.

The Demons would slot another four goals for the quarter but missed some chances to extend their lead even further.

Ben Sampson showed early he would have a busy day, setting himself up well to receive the ball, and Lewis George stood up and set up two Wayback goals in the first quarter.

Boston were well served in the midfield by the likes of Marcus Liddell and Sanjayson Hanuman who were quick to move the ball while Tyler Roderick pushed for the centre clearances.

Unfortunately the Tigers could not materialise anything in front of goal as they were repelled by a tough Wayback defence, led by Jaxen Norton and Ian Jericho. Wayback led 5.6 (36) to Boston 0.0 (0) at quarter time.

Wayback started the second quarter on a high note with goals to Tom Easson and a second to Jonty Seal, who was demonstrating his strong leading mark and a deadly kick at goal.

However Boston was creating some good passages to their 50, Deven Canty was standing up with his work in defence and was effective in running the ball out of defence.

Boston got two goals this quarter through Malcolm Miller who was leading by example with his skills and driver towards the ball, but each time Wayback had an immediate response.

The defensive pressure was still tough for Boston who, despite bringing the fight to Wayback and creating contests they struggled with Wayback's defence in their 50, scoring seven behinds. In comparison the Demons scored seven goals, including three from Seal to lead by 60 points at half time.

A fairly even quarter was seen in the third however Wayback continued to have a bit more of the ball as their midfield continued to try to create space in response to Boston's contested play.

Both teams were good with disposals, Boston applied tackling pressure while Wayback continued to read the ball well and create turnovers.

Jericho was coming up the field and took turnover marks, Xavier Watson racked up possessions and frequently hit his targets while Shaun Maxfield got Wayback into attack with his clearances.

Seal kicked another pair of goals for the quarter with goals also coming from Konitzka and James Blewit.

Hanuman continued to display his class with the ball down the wing, Canty starred with his attack on the ball and his run and carry out of defence and Tom Whitehair was determined to win the contested ball.

Tyler Roderick continued to work hard and take on packs and was rewarded with a pair of goals for Boston, with goals also coming from Raheem Betts and David Fenwick. Wayback led 16.10 (106) to Boston 6.8 (44) at the final break.

Boston opened the final quarter with a goal to Hanuman off a free kick but soon Wayback was back in front of goal.

Seal finished the game with another two goals, finishing with an amazing haul of eight for the day, with Zac Mullins, Blewit and Konitzka also scoring majors.

Boston remained competitive and scored another two goals, one to Justin Carey and a second for Fenwick as Wayback ran out 77-point winners.