Fast finishing Wayback into grand final

SHRUG OFF: Lincoln South's Liam Gerber shrugs off the tackle from Marble Range's Jesse Trevor.
SHRUG OFF: Lincoln South's Liam Gerber shrugs off the tackle from Marble Range's Jesse Trevor.



A good win by Marble Range that was set up from the opening quarter against a game Lincoln South side.

Ethan Richardson played a big part in the Rangers' midfield and had strong hands, he also proved he could find the goals kicking the first major.

Jesse Trevor's run and carry was serving Rangers well early and Charlie Shepperd got the scoreboard ticking with a pair of goals, as well as one from Kyle Turner just before the siren.

Meanwhile Souths was well served by Tyson Pratt who took packs on, the Ambrose boys Jesse and Tom were attacking the ball well off half back and Liam Gerber spun out of danger in the 50 to kick South's only goal of the quarter. At quarter time Rangers led 4.3 (27) to Souths 1.2 (8).

In the second quarter Rangers missed a couple of shots early but continued to win the ball in the centre through Trevor and Richardson, but Souths made their first shot count with a goal from Jevan Horton.

Play was mostly back and forth between the flanks as the two teams fought for inside 50s.

Souths kicked themselves back into the game with four goals for the quarter, including a second from Horton and majors from Brodey Waters and Jamayah Craig, who recovered from a hard hit in the first quarter.

Rangers got two goals from two Aaron Siebert soccer goals, which showed he could also play for Sekol Masters if he wanted. At half time Rangers led 6.9 (45) to 5.2 (32).

Souths would rue missed opportunities in the third quarter as the Rangers defence, led by Tate Bieniasz did not give an inch.

Rangers continued to move effectively through the middle through the likes of Trevor and Eli Giddings who presented well for possessions. Rangers had less shots at goal but made them count, kicking three goals with two from Arley Byass.

Souths meanwhile kicked 1.5, though it was goal of the day as Horton got his third with a spectacular dribbling goal from the boundary. Rangers led 9.9 (63) to 6.7 (43) at the final break.

Rangers would dominate the final quarter with great passages through the middle but it would ultimately be a low scoring quarter as they were kept to three behinds.

Souths managed one more goal for the game through Max Rogalski but it was not enough, Rangers running out 16 point winners and setting up a date with Tasman this weekend.

MARK: Wayback's Bailey Fraser tries to take the contested mark against Tasman's Dusty Wheare.

MARK: Wayback's Bailey Fraser tries to take the contested mark against Tasman's Dusty Wheare.

WAYBACK 7.3 (45) DEF TASMAN 5.10 (40)

A fast finishing Wayback have earned their spot in the 2020 grand final after coming home strong against Tasman in a physical yet fast paced game of footy.

Tasman had the bulk of shots on goal through some good contested play and getting the better of Wayback at stoppages, leading the way was Dusty Wheare who was a workhorse across the ground winning the ball and setting up teammates.

The Roosters kicked three goals this quarter through Mitchell Laube, Ethan Parsons and Cody Siebert, but missed another three which could have really set them up nicely.

The physical play claimed a victim as Wayback's Jacob Baldock suffered a hard knock and was stretchered off.

In response Wayback managed one goal through Beau Sampson as Tasman led 3.3 (21) to Wayback 1.1 (7).

Wayback started to turn the momentum in their favour with some good passages and setting up options, and were rewarded with the first two goals, a second for Sampson and a first for Saxon Spencer.

Tasman kicked two of their own but had a hard time against Wayback's defenders with Keeley Pheeney and Will Blacker put their bodies into the marking contests while Brett Woolford managed to shut out Toby Casanova. At half time Tasman led 5.5 (35) to Wayback 3.1 (19).

In the third quarter Wayback's efforts to win the contested ball and movement from the contests, coupled with a strong defence saw them kick three goals to none, two coming from Jay Mullins who swept onto the loose ball.

Wilson McShane had been active in getting the ball towards the 50 and his goal at the start of the fourth quarter gave Wayback a buffer.

Tasman pushed hard for the inside 50s with Wheare, Jaiden Jude and Brodie Higgins among those winning the ball.

However Wayback's defence stood strong and kept Tasman to five behinds to hold on for a hard fought win, one Tasman will definitely consider one that got away.

TACKLE: Tasman's Cody Millhouse brings Boston's Brad Jacob to the ground.

TACKLE: Tasman's Cody Millhouse brings Boston's Brad Jacob to the ground.


BOSTON 7.12 (54) DEF TASMAN 5.6 (36)

In a close encounter and hard fought match Boston moved into the preliminary final against a gallant Tasman.

Most pundits expected Boston to blow the Roosters away but to their credit they doggedly hung in there all day.

The telling factor in the end was the Tigers' tall timbers marking ability. At quarter time Boston led by one point with goals to Jake Siviour and Brad Jacob while for the Roosters Edward Murphy and Tyson Higgins scored majors.

Tasman were first on the board in the second quarter but Boston scored goals through Siviour and Toby Rawles.

Latrell Sumner and Duke Syme were good around the ground for the Tigers while down back for the Roosters Max Turnbull, Ky Lewis and Cody Manuel were repelling Boston's attacks.

The third quarter saw Boston into attack early with Siviour kicking his third for the match, Cody Selwyn-Shore playing a good game also kicked a goal to give Boston a two-goal lead going into the last quarter.

Boston could have sealed an easy victory but were off line in their forward area due to the pressure the Roosters were applying by players in Thomas Allen, possibly their best player followed by Oz Richardson, Jayden and Harry Evans and Ashton Hartwig.

Boston was best served by Duke Syme who was strong in the air, Cody Selwyn-Shore, Jack Meffert and Banjo Lawrence. The final score was Boston 7.12 (54) defeating Tasman 5.6 (36).

PURSUIT: Marble Range's Archer Pertzel and Mitchell Pearce chase after the ball along with Lincoln South's Seb Henderson.

PURSUIT: Marble Range's Archer Pertzel and Mitchell Pearce chase after the ball along with Lincoln South's Seb Henderson.


Marble Range completely dominated the Eagles on the scoreboard in the under 15s although Lincoln South had a much of the play but their forward structure was not as good as the Rangers, hence the Rangers scored six goals to one.

The first quarter belonged to Cooper Miller for the Rangers and Archer Van Doorn, both taking strong marks down back.

Souths were off line this quarter while the Rangers scored through River Doudle with a great snap and Ashur Miller-Pickett. At quarter time Marble Range 2.1 (13) led Lincoln South 0.4 (4).

In the second quarter Souths went into attack early but the two Turnbull boys and Miller kept repelling their attacks and when Charlie Turnbull passed to River Doudle to goal his second for the match.

At half time the Rangers had a comfortable lead 3.2 (20) to Souths 0.5 (5).

The third quarter saw Souths into attack but bad misses were hurting them. Their little players in Nicholas Cave and Charlie Kenny were good this quarter with Kenny rewarded with a goal.

However goals from Miller-Pickett and Doudle kicking his third for the match helped Rangers kick away.

Souths were quickly into attack in the last quarter but once again were off line and Rangers were not much better as between both sides they kicked nine points in this quarter. Rangers were comfortable winners and must be favourites for the flag.

Cooper Miller was their best, his strength around the ground sets up a lot of their play, Henry Turnbull and Kaleb Oestmann are fearless leaders, Reuben Hill is an unobtrusive player but very good and River Doudle for his three goals which could have been five for the day.

For Souths Ryder Rogalski showed plenty of dash out of the backlines, Archer Van Doorn never stops trying and running all day, Jackson Allen took some lovely overhead marks while Jackson Hanslow and Charlie Kenny were good.

POSSESSION: Lincoln South's Archer Van Doorn with the ball against Tasman's Tim Dennis.

POSSESSION: Lincoln South's Archer Van Doorn with the ball against Tasman's Tim Dennis.


MARBLE RANGE 5.5 (35) DEF WAYBACK 2.2 (14)

Marble Range were a bigger and stronger side in their win against Wayback on Sunday.

Although Wayback were in front at half time by one goal the Rangers drew away to a three-goal win, mainly due to Yarra Mickan and Majoor Ackland in defence.

At half time Ackland was moved into the forward region and dominated there as well. Harvey Pearce roaming in attack used his pace in setting up goals and kicking two of his own for the day.

Wayback's two goalkickers were Sullivan Isle and Hayden Peak, they were best served by Dusty Symonds and Joel Modra, and Tygh Te Wano in defence. The Rangers now face Tasman next Saturday in the preliminary final.

LINCOLN SOUTH 3.11 (29) DEF TASMAN 4.2 (26)

In a high quality under 13 match Lincoln South got over the line by three points. Souths were first to score through Ryder Frank.

In the middle the two ruckmen in Henry Challinger and Timothy Dennis were having a good duel.

Samuel Neate got the ball up to Jett Clements and goal to see both sides one each at quarter time, although Souths were off-line with five points.

The second quarter saw Tasman attack through Dennis and Saxon Larwood, and a great goal from Dennis on the boundary line saw both sides level at half time.

The third quarter was a dour struggle with two points scored. Cooper Allen and Ashton Hartwig taking some good marks down back while Archie Trezise and Zackariah Young were providing plenty of run for the Eagles.

The last quarter saw the Roosters quickly into attack with a goal from Allen and with another goal from Hartwig Tasman were coming home strong, but the siren beat them.

Best for the winners were Archie Trezise and Henry Challinger, could not split them, Balyn O'Brien for his hard attack on the ball, Zackariah Young and Ned Prosser were next best.

Tasman's best was Ashton Hartwig, just shading the Kimba boy Saxon Larwood, Cooper Allen took some lovely marks under pressure, Timothy Dennis and Eli Parsons were next best.



Marble Range under 13 half back Yarra Mickan had an outstanding match in his team's hard fought win over Wayback on Sunday.

Mickan's ability to run and carry the footy and take on opposition set up many of his team's attacking moves and made it difficult for the opponent to score.

His pace breaks the game open and he can also be given a midfield role which will make him a player to watch in this week's preliminary final.


Lincoln South under 13 hard nut Archer Trezise proved the difference in his side's thrilling three point victory over Tasman.

Trezise's physical presence and ability to split packs set up his team's win.

A difficult player to tackle and a thumping kick, Trezise thrived on finals footy and will be one to watch on grand final day.