Rangers still alive, Souths advance to grand final

KICK: Marble Range's Corey Paech kicks the ball away from the back 50 as Tasman's Brandon Rosalia looks on.
KICK: Marble Range's Corey Paech kicks the ball away from the back 50 as Tasman's Brandon Rosalia looks on.



MARBLE RANGE 9.11 (65) DEF TASMAN 2.3 (15)

Marble Range put on a dominant performance in the B grade first semi final, defeating Tasman by 50 points to keep their season rolling in 2020.

The ball was fiercely contested in the first quarter but with their effective work around the stoppages and setting up options to move the ball through the middle, Rangers had the vast majority of scoring shots early.

Goals to Hippy Wanganeen and Nick Franklin got Rangers started, though they could have extended their lead out more if not for the defensive pressure applied by Tasman, including from Dom Denton and Max Willmott.

Rangers control of the ball in the middle kept Tasman away from goal for most of the quarter. At the first break Rangers 2.3 (15) led Tasman 0.0 (0).

The shots on goal kept coming for Rangers in the second quarter as they maintained their control of the game.

The combination of Guy Morton, Sam Haskett and Craig Welfare continued to ensure Rangers controlled the ball in the middle and would push to their 50, while Guy Hutchinson chased the contested ball between the flanks and moved it out of danger many times.

The inside 50s continued to pile up for Rangers but again a lead that could have been blown out was limited with 2.4 kicked for the quarter, majors coming from Wanganeen and Lenard Lawrie.

Tasman got a sole goal from a free kick to Andrew Frick, Rangers went into half time with a 25-point lead.

A low-scoring third quarter saw Marble Range still rack up inside 50s but good defensive pressure from Tasman kept Rangers mostly quiet in front of goal.

Denton and Willmott continued to be standouts for Tasman in defence, with Marcus Gobin also getting involved and Cameron Izzo put himself into contests to get them towards their 50.

Rangers had at least seven straight inside 50s but only managed 1.3 for the quarter, Adam Hollamby kicking their sole major while Tasman had a late stretch which saw them slot 1.1, Reece Gerrie kicking the goal.

At the final break Marble Range 5.10 (40) led Tasman 2.1 (13).

Rangers finished the job in the fourth with their most accurate quarter of the game, kicking 4.1 including Wanganeen's third and Hollamby's second on the siren.

Tasman were kept goalless, scoring just two behinds as they had little answer to Rangers' attack.

Rangers ran out comfortable 50 point winners, though will need to work on accuracy in front of goal before they face Wayback in this weekend's preliminary final.


Reigning premiers Lincoln South have won their way to this year's grand final in a win that while not pretty, was definitely gutsy.

Rain continued to fall on Centenary Oval and with both teams looking to win the contested ball, clean possessions were going to be few and far between.

Wayback missed a couple shots early and Souths would get the first major on the board, Jayden Blewit and Bradyn Traeger setting up Brody Kenny for the goal.

The Demons had a reply thanks to a free kick to coach Josh McKenzie but for the most part the teams struggled with marks and disposal as the rain took its toll. Wayback led 1.2 (8) to Souths 1.0 (6) at quarter time.

In the second quarter Wayback could not set up scoring shots as Souths defence started to really pose a challenge.

Nick Wright was a standout at full back and continued to get the turnover marks, while Jordan Smith and Damon Traeger also added to Wayback's woes up forward.

However it was another low scoring quarter, Souths managing a sole goal from B. Traeger while the Demons were kept goalless. Half time score saw Souths 2.2 (14) to Wayback 1.3 (9).

In the third teams utilised handballs for quick passages but the rain still meant few clean marks and few shots on goal.

Jacob Harvey and B. Traeger were linking up well and Camden Madden worked hard to set up inside 50s but this did not translate into goals, Souths kicking five behinds for the quarter.

Wayback were well served by Matt Greatbatch and Patrick Andison in defence, Brayden Martin went after the contested ball and Jack Hegarty was consistent with his use of the ball in the midfield.

However Wayback were again kept goalless, Souths leading by 19 at the final break.

Souths looked to seal the deal early in the fourth and looked to do so as Harvey set up Madden who ran in for the open goal, it would be the last major for the game.

Wayback continued to work for the ball, Elliott Claxton applied pressure to win back the ball and was among the best on ground for the day.

Despite this Wayback managed just one behind for the quarter as Souths won by 15 and booked their spot in the grand final.