Cashless welfare set to continue in Cednua

LAWS: Federal Grey MP Rowan Ramsey hopes legislation will be passed relating to a radioactive waste dump at Kimba.

LAWS: Federal Grey MP Rowan Ramsey hopes legislation will be passed relating to a radioactive waste dump at Kimba.

Funding to ensure the continuation of Ceduna's cashless welfare card and the construction of Kimba's National Radioactive Waste Management Facility is provided in the 2020 Federal Budget unveiled on Tuesday.

The government has pledged $100 million towards the waste management facility, which will go towards the "build-up" period for the facility, with further government investment likely during construction.

Despite this, the government still needs to pass the legislation for the facility through the Senate, legislation that was opposed by three Senators including Labor's Jenny McAllister in the Senate Economics Committee's final report.

Federal Grey MP Rowan Ramsey said he was disappointed in the Labor Party, but was confident the legislation would eventually be passed.

"They have supported the process we have gone through right up until now and then after being delivered a result on a platter, finding a community willing to host the facility, they balked at the gate," he said.

"I think it is a pathetic example from them. How can they say they can govern Australia when they can't make a decision on something as simple as this."

Comment is being sought from the Opposition.

Meanwhile the government has pledged to continue funding for the Cashless Welfare Card, but has given little detail as it was still negotiating with the companies who provide the cards.

The initiative involves individuals being given a cashless debit card that operates similarly to a normal bank card, except it cannot be used to buy alcohol or gambling products, or to withdraw cash.

To deter people from spending their welfare payments on those purposes, 80 per cent of their payment is put on the card, while the remaining 20 per cent is put into the individual's back account.

Ceduna initially took part in the trial in 2016 and, after the release of the budget, the initiative is set to become permanent in the town.

The feeling among service providers is that the scheme has been beneficial with people able to buy goods such as food and clothes, but there is still uncertainty as to the long-term benefits of the scheme. One service provider said they have seen a reduction in "risky behaviours", but more research needs to be done to determine what causes this.