2020 School leavers barred from regions

No celebrations: 2020 school leavers have been officially barred from travelling to regional areas as part of a statewide six day lockdown. Photo: file.
No celebrations: 2020 school leavers have been officially barred from travelling to regional areas as part of a statewide six day lockdown. Photo: file.

School leavers will be barred from travelling to the Fleurieu Peninsula and other regional locations this weekend as part of the state government's six day "circuit breaker" lockdown.

Graduates of 2020 had been expected to travel to the Fleurieu in large numbers as part of Schoolies celebrations, with more than 3000 bookings at local caravan parks and holiday homes.

The annual Victor Harbor Schoolies Festival had already been cancelled following negotiations between the City of Victor Harbor, SAPOL, SA Health and Encounter Youth.

This comes as a blow for the Class of 2020 who have already endured numerous cancelled events including formals and graduations.

Speaking on Wednesday, Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said his expectation was that people would do the right thing and not travel to regional areas.

"Schoolies is an indication of where we thought we were in terms of South Australia managing COVID-19," he said.

"We were optimistic about being able to provide an opportunity for our school leavers to celebrate to some extent, but this is a changing dynamic and school leavers will not be able to participate in those celebrations now and must be at home or at a place of their choosing for a six day period.

"They won't have the ability to move between residences or got to holiday houses. Holiday houses will not be available for rent."

This story 2020 School leavers barred from regions first appeared on The Times.