Masters hit back for strong win

Masters hit back for strong win



Sekol Masters hosted Lincoln Knights in what was a must win game for the former as they were languishing at the bottom of the ladder.

The Masters fielded one of their stronger line-ups this season, with midfielder Wadey returning from injury and Kapnistis back after a lengthy stint on the sideline.

Both teams welcomed a couple of under 16's to bolster the side.

The first 15 minutes belonged to the Knights with impressive pressure on the ball, eventually forcing an own goal to lead.

It proved a wake-up call for the Masters and almost immediately they left a sluggish start behind to move the ball around with precision and purpose.

Kurtis Evenden was running riot down both wings, with Kris Kolega and Wadey dominant in the middle, and Fagan and Partlow controlling the defence.

With 20 minutes of purposeful football they converted three great goals through Evenden, Fagan and Wilkes to lead 3-1 at half-time.

Given the Masters slotted in three goals into a strong northerly, it could have been assumed they would coast along with the wind at their backs in the second half yet the Knights had other ideas and started the half with belief.

Charlie Price was gaining ascendancy in midfield and provided some nice balls into the box.

At the other end his brother Henry and defenders repelled a few of the Masters attacks.

When in possession with the strong wind, the Masters were fairly wasteful and it was eventually their undoing in building a bigger lead.

The Knights had a few chances to close the gap, but could not find a way back.

The under 16s for both sides - Hamilton-Reid and Van Rooijen for Sekol and Ethan Franklin for the Knights - impressed.

The best for Sekol Masters were Kurtis Evenden and Matt Fagan, while Charlie Price and Bradley Harkness played well for the Knights.


Lincoln City Raiders showed why they are undefeated this season with a strong second-half display against a battling South Coast side.

Raiders had a near full-strength team with depth on the bench, as South Coast fielded another weakened team with more players making their red and whites debut.

Braden McConnell put Raiders ahead inside 15 minutes with a well struck volley.

South Coast responded well and were level through hardworking midfielder Andrew McCouaig when he finished from close range.

Cameron Izzo was causing the Raiders' defence all sorts of problems with his pace and drew a penalty when fouled.

Gary Marshallsea's penalty was well saved by Marcus Turner low to his right, with the follow-up not converted.

The teams went into the break level, but when the match resumed it was the younger legs of Raiders taking control.

The South Coast defence held on for 20 minutes of the half until Max Rogalski produced the goal of the match with a sweet strike into the top corner.

That goal broke the South Coast resolve as the goals began to flow.

Jye Nixon intercepted a pass in the South Coast defence and finished low inside the far post, then Rogalski had his second minutes later when he tapped into an empty net, before Nathan Spinks rounded out the scoring when he followed up on a deflection.

The dampener on the result for Raiders was a knee injury to Turner late in the game - hopefully the injury is not as bad as it looked and he can make a swift recovery.

With no games on the long weekend South Coast will hope to regain players from injury and start challenging for the full 90 minutes, while Raiders will freshen up and look to continue their perfect season.