The Blues end Koonibba's winning streak with fine performance

Koonibba paid for a poor start on a historic day for the club as they went down to the Blues by 29 points in their Western Eyre A grade clash on Saturday.

The Roosters failed to score in the opening term at the Far West Aboriginal Sporting Complex and were playing catch-up for the rest of the afternoon as they went down 11.9 (75) to 7.4 (46) to snap their four-game winning run.

The Blues rocketed off the line to lead by 27 points at quarter-time, having kicked four goals to none in the opening term.

The home side did hit back in the second quarter and their three goals to three behinds helped reduce the deficit to nine points heading into the main break.

Yet the Blues also came into this match on the back of a positive run - two wins and a draw in their previous three outings before the break - and they recovered in a free-flowing third term which saw seven goals fly through the sticks.

Crucially, the Blues had the better of the quarter and kicked 4.1 to Koonibba's three straight to increase their lead to 16 points.

With Koonibba seeking to grab a fifth successive win and dislodge the Blues from third position on the ladder, they needed a big final quarter.

Instead, it was the Blues who dominated as they added three goals to one to record a third consecutive victory.

The visitors shared the goals around as Charlie Williams, Dion Paues and Tjerayh Coleman kicked two apiece, while Koonibba's seven goals came from seven different goalkickers.

Elsewhere, Mark Dolling was outstanding in attack as West Coast demolished Thevenard by 93 points at Streaky Bay.

Dolling booted eight goals as the Hawks cruised to a 17.18 (120) to 4.3 (27) triumph.

Also on target for the league leaders was Cody Colbung with three goals and Braden Holmes with two, which was matched at the other end by Josh Cummings.

The Hawks had the better of the first quarter with four goals, yet the sixth-placed Magpies were sticking with them and their two goals ensured a margin of 15 points at the first break.

It was in the second quarter that West Coast pulled clear in booting 5.6 to a solitary behind to be in command at half-time with a lead of 50 points.

Thevenard did manage a single goal in each of the final two terms, while the Hawks continued to build their lead.

They kicked four goals in the third quarter to extend the margin to 71 points and a further four majors in the final term to take the lead past 90 points.

Meanwhile, Western United also secured an emphatic victory in downing Wirrulla by 80 points at Penong.

The Tigers built up a big lead in the first term and were never troubled in winning 15.14 (104) to 3.6 (24).

The hosts - determined to hit back after successive defeats in the two rounds prior to the break - raced out of the blocks and booted eight goals to two in the first quarter.

Western United's lead of 37 points at quarter-time was extended to 62 by half-time thanks to four unanswered second-quarter goals.

The second and third quarters proved fruitless for the Bombers as they could manage only three behinds, while the Tigers added a further two majors to go into three-quarter time with a lead of 76 points.

Wirrulla stemmed the tide in the fourth quarter and with the game in the bag for Westies both sides managed a goal apiece.

Leading the Western United charge was Tom Woods with five goals, while he had help from Jay Polkinghorne's three majors and two each for Harlee Chandler and Logan Elliott.



Koonibba 17.13 (115) - 1.3 (9) Blues

West Coast 8.13 (61) - 0.7 (7) Thevenard

Western United 6.3 (39) - 4.12 (36) Wirrulla


Koonibba 28.19 (187) - 0.1 (1) Blues

West Coast 13.13 (91) - 4.3 (27) Thevenard

Western United 9.9 (63) - 6.1 (37) Wirrulla


Koonibba 5.4 (34) - 2.4 (16) Blues

West Coast 11.9 (75) - 1.0 (6) Thevenard

Western United 8.5 (53) - 1.0 (6) Wirrulla