West Coast Hawks demolish Western United to win Western Eyre football A grade premiership

West Coast Hawks finished a fantastic Western Eyre A grade football season in style to win the premiership with a comprehensive 78-point victory against Western United at Ceduna on Saturday.

The Hawks dominated throughout the grand final for a 14.15 (99) to 3.3 (21) result.

After romping through the minor round with 12 wins out of 13 and winning their opening finals match, the Hawks - appearing in their 16th consecutive grand final between Mid West and Western Eyre - made it count on grand final day to add more silverware to the trophy cabinet.

As has been the case between the two sides throughout the season, and typical in a grand final, it was a physical opening to the contest as neither looked to concede an inch.

It was Western United who opened the scoring through Jay Polkinghorne, but it proved to be a false dawn as the Tigers did not produce another major until the fourth quarter.

Led by best on ground Dylan Kelsh, West Coast - who had won all four previous meetings this season - asserted their dominance and goals from Cody Colbung and Cameron Montgomerie had them 11 points ahead at quarter-time, but their five behinds kept the Tigers within striking distance.

Mark Dolling's first for the afternoon early in the second term set the tone and just as they did in the second semi-final last month, the Hawks pulled clear.

They kicked six goals to one behind in the quarter - with Colbung adding another two - to be well-placed at half-time with a lead of 47 points.

No matter what the Tigers tried they could not loosen West Coast's stranglehold on proceedings after half-time.

With their midfield and defensive efforts impressive, it allowed the Hawks to extend the lead to 70 points at three-quarter time - yet it may have been more if not for converting only three goals from nine scoring shots.

Kelsh topped his performance with the fourth quarter opener, while Sam Mahar and Tom Woods gave something for Tigers' supporters to cheer as they goaled.

Yet there was nothing they could do to stop the Hawks from adding two further goals for the term and to lift the trophy.

Kelsh's star showing was assisted by Colbung - four goals - Montgomerie with three goals and Lachlan McInnis, while the Tigers were led by Woods, Corey Miller and Cruz Polkinghorne.

The Hawks had a day to remember as they also won the B grade grand final by nine points in a much closer showdown against Wirrulla.

The match was in the balance until the end as West Coast triumphed 6.3 (39) to 4.6 (30).

West Coast held a slight lead of six points at the first break after kicking two goals following Wirrulla's opener, while they added another two majors in the second term for a handy lead before Craig Johnson kept the Bombers in the hunt just before half-time.

A margin of 12 points at the main break was reduced to 10 by the final change as both sides could only add a goal apiece in a tough quarter.

David Vincenti brought the Bombers to within four points in the fourth term, only for Jarrod Freeman to kick truly to seal the Hawks' premiership.

Best on ground Toby Hollitt and Corey Cabot led for the Hawks, while Wirrulla's Leigh Rule and Stephen Mudge played well.

Meanwhile, Koonibba defeated Western United 5.11 (41) to 5.3 (33) to win the under 17 grand final, as West Coast Hawks won the under 14 decider by downing Koonibba 6.4 (40) to 3.5 (23).