United Yeelanna defeat Lock to earn Great Flinders grand final spot

MARK: United Yeelanna's Bryce Breed takes a diving mark as Lock's Brodi Grocke looks on in the A grade preliminary final. Photo: Meryl Weetra
MARK: United Yeelanna's Bryce Breed takes a diving mark as Lock's Brodi Grocke looks on in the A grade preliminary final. Photo: Meryl Weetra



United Yeelanna 12.7 (79) def Lock 5.7 (37)

The A Grade contest between Lock and Yeelanna started slowly with both sides hungry for the ball and finding scoring difficult as both sides defences were superb and absorbing plenty of pressure.

Heath and Kelly were in everything for the home side, while Norton and Dyer were mopping up for the Eagles and repelling several Lock attacks. Havelberg and Travis Beard kicked the only two goals for the quarter with neither side able to gain any real scoreboard pressure.

The Eagles came out firing early in the second kicking four unanswered goals to shell shock the Roos as Martin and Crettenden created havoc through the midfield, Havelberg a tower of strength up forward and Breed and Wilksch providing them with plenty of run and carry.

Tiller and Glover were battling manfully for Lock and it was not until late in the quarter that they managed just their second goal which drew them back within 21 points at the long break.

The third quarter proved to be a much more even contest as both team went goal for goal and if not for inaccuracy Lock could have pulled themselves back to within a kick.

Tiller continued to be prominent in the midfield with his tireless work, and Brown, Glover and Morton were winning plenty of the ball to keep them in the game.

Casey Carr had lifted and was proving dangerous up forward, Dyer was excellent across half back and Wilksch had the ball on the string and his disposal excellent.

Lock through everything at the game early in the last quarter opening up with an early goal, but the well oiled finals machine that is United Yeelanna kicked in to gear as they took control of the game and dominated the final 20 minutes of the game.

Their midfield was in complete control as they piled on 4 unanswered goals as Havelberg took his tally to five for the game. The Roo's defence was battling hard against the odds and standing up to a point but the lack of midfield pressure was proving costly as weight of numbers worked against them.

In the end it was the Eagles who ran out comfortable 42 point winners to earn themselves another crack at Cougars in this weeks grand final.

Michael Crettenden was outstanding for the winners, Wilksch excellent, and Breed, Norton, Dyer and Havelberg prominent all game. Lock were best served by Heath, George, Glover and Tiller, while Andrew Heath had some good moments in defence.


Cummins Kapinnie 11.8 (74) def Elliston Districts 4.5 (29)

It was a tight tussle early in the preliminary final with neither side able to get on top, but it was the Roosters who finally broke the deadlock midway through the first.

Oska Richards and Peter Carter were firing for Elliston in the first quarter while Cougars captain Dillon Bellenger was inspirational.

Christopher Wright was in everything in the first with Luke Maloney proving to be a handful up forward kicking two first quarter goals with the score ED 1.1 CK 2.1 at quarter time.

In the second term Cougars began to dominate the match with Jaxon Ridgeway beginning to assert his dominance around the ground.

Elliston Districts struggled to find a target inside 50, however Lachy Custance and Marcus Gobin gave the Great Flinders newest team some hope, but it was Cougars four goals up at the main break.

The Roosters stepped it up in the third cutting the lead to just 14 points at three-quarter time, with Marcus Gobin and Angus Gunn dragging their team back in to the contest however, Cougars still looked more dangerous with Mitchell Laube beginning to show some class.

Cougars flexed their muscle in the last and showed that they are a worthy Grand Finalist kicking five goals to one.

Elliston Districts fought hard which is a credit to their performance this season, but the likes of Maroney, Bellenger and the Turnballs proved too great running out 45 point winners.


Eyre United 10.10 (70) def Tumby Bay 7.7 (49)

Tumby Bay took on Eyre United in the Colts with a magnificent day for football and no advantage to either end. The game started in tight fashion with a real struggle as both teams found their way, but it was Tumby Bay who drew first blood at the 11th minute mark with a goal to Tyson Higgins.

Thomas Allen was in everything for the Blues, but some hard tackling from the Saints caused several turnovers from Mardi Masson showing they were up for the challenge as they took a two point lead in to quarter time.

Eyre United began to gain some ascendancy in the second with a three goal to two quarter with Mally Fatchen presenting well up forward.

Oz Richardson had lifted for Tumby and was winning plenty of the footy across the middle, but the height of Foster was causing the Blues plenty of concern as he took control of the contest booting two goals.

Jesse Jackson was looking dangerous up forward for Tumby, but it was the Saints who led by a goal at the long break.

Tumby Bay dominated the midfield early in the third giving their forwards plenty of opportunity as they booted goals via Higgins and Jackson, but Eyre United were still strong in the contest as Stratford repeatedly rebounded across half back and Foster continued to dominate in the air and kicked another two goals from his own boot.

Just six points separated the two sides at three quarter time but it was the Saints who came out strongly in the last kicking 2.4 while keeping Tumby Bay to just two points. The Blues struggled to get the ball past half forward and it was Riley Pugsley who iced the contest with a late goal to give his side a well earned victory.

Best for the Saints were Mardi Masson, Stratford, Foster, Franklin and Harvey Masson while Tumby Bay were best served by Allen, Richardson, Higgins, Challinger, Prosser and Franks.


Cummins Kapinnie 3.1 (19) def United Yeelanna 2.2 (14)

Cougars went in as favourites in the Mini Colts but had to pull out all stops to get over a plucky Eagles side who made them work hard.

The game was all tied up at quarter time at just one point each but Cougars came out strongly in the second to open up a two goal lead at half time.

The third quarter belonged to the Eagles as they kicked two goals and in an excellent defensive quarter kept Cougars scoreless to lead by one point at the final break.

The class of Cougars cam through in the end as they kicked a crucial goal and kept Yeelanna scoreless in the final quarter to run out five point winners and book themselves a spot in the grand final.

Radford, Hazelgrove, Thomson, Stokes and Hill were excellent for the winners while Yeelanna's Dingwall, Modra, Haylock, Wilksch, Mickan and Kidney battled hard for the Eagles in an excellent team effort.

Want to have the biggest headlines sent your way each week? Sign up today for the weekly Port Lincoln Times newsletter here.