The news of an infected truck driver stopping at locations on Eyre Peninsula on a return trip to Western Australia has prompted the state government to urge people to get vaccinated for COVID-19.
SA Health announced on Wednesday that a truck driver from New South Wales had developed symptoms during his trip across the country, during which he stopped at service stations and roadhouses at Port Augusta, Wudinna, Penong and Border Village.
Towns on the West Coast are waiting to hear about results of testing, as the state government warns regional areas are also at risk of contracting the virus.
The Eyre and Far North Local Health Network has established pop-up vaccination clinics on visits to towns throughout the region and will continue to travel across Eyre Peninsula in the coming weeks.
Health Minister Stephen Wade said vaccination was "our doorway out of the pandemic".
"Recent COVID cases amongst truck drivers highlight that our regions are not immune to the threat of COVID-19," he said.
"It is critical that communities do everything they can to protect themselves from the virus. Now is the best time to get a COVID vaccine.
"The establishment of these vaccination clinics are part of our strategy to get the vaccine into the arms of regional South Australians and to lift vaccination levels in these areas."
Mr Wade thanked the Eyre and Far North Local Health Network for their work in getting the vaccine to communities across the region, as well as those who had already rolled up their sleeve.
There is an ongoing COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the Port Lincoln Clinic (12 Napoleon Street), in addition to the pop-up clinics.
UPCOMING VACCINATION CLINIC LOCATIONS AND DATES
- Streaky Bay: Streaky Bay Institute - September 27-28
- Elliston: Elliston Sports Centre - September 29-30
- Coffin Bay: Coffin Bay Hall - October 5
- Lock: Lock Bowling Club - October 5
- Kimba: Kimba Institute - October 6-7
- Cowell: Cowell Bowling Club - October 11-12
- Cleve: Cleve Institute - October 13-14
- Cummins: Cummins Institute - October 18-19
- Tumby Bay: Tumby Bay Soldiers Memorial Hall: October 20-21
- Cowell: Cowell Bowling Club - November 1-2
- Cleve: Cleve Institute - November 3-4
- Cummins: Cummins RSL Hall - November 8-9
- Tumby Bay: Tumby Bay Soldiers Memorial Hall: November 10-11
To book, go to sahealth.sa.gov.au/regionalclinics.
For assistance with bookings, call the SA COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787.