Eastern Eyre claim three wicket win in Ceduna

STUMPED: Far West wicket keeper Brendan Kloeden celebrates after stumping Eastern Eyre's Ben Shannon. Photo: Andrew Brooks
STUMPED: Far West wicket keeper Brendan Kloeden celebrates after stumping Eastern Eyre's Ben Shannon. Photo: Andrew Brooks


Eastern Eyre have booked their spot in the Henderson Shield final after defeating Far West by three wickets in their game at Ceduna on Saturday.

Both teams had one win each and a win here would ensure a spot in the final against the only other undefeated team, Port Lincoln.

Far West elected to bat first with openers Alex Fraser and Jacob Bennett getting their team past 40 runs before Fraser fell lbw to the bowling of Angus Turner for 22.

Bennett continued to find runs with Brendan Kloeden, which included a six before he was caught out for 37, soon after Kloeden was bowled by Jordan Stutley for 16 to have Far West on 3/89.

Lachlan Wilkins was finding the runs Far West needed, finding the boundary five times including a pair of sixes and Eastern Eyre made their way through the middle and bottom order.

Turner did some more damage by claiming the wickets of Liam Buckley (3) and Jarrad Trowbridge (0) before he would finally get the run out of Wilkins who finished on a well hit 60.

Turner would also be involved in the run out of Far West's last wicket to fall, Jamie Bennet (0) as the home side finished their 50 overs on 9/173.

Of Eastern Eyre bowlers Turner was top wicket taker with 3/29 off his 10 overs while Stutley also impressed with 2/20 off his 10, with three maidens.

Eastern Eyre's run chase got off to a rough start as Jack Lienert hit the wicket to be out for three with Brendan Kloeden then stumping Joel Fitzgerald for a duck to see the visitors at 2/6 early.

It was Stutley and Tom Davey who would set up Eastern Eyre nicely with some excellent batting, Davey would end up finding the boundary seven times and Stutley five times with each hitting a six.

Stutley was the first to fall, caught behind by Kloeden after an excellent innings of 53, Kloeden would then get another stumping with Ben Shannon out for zero before Far West finally claimed Davey, bowled by Wilkins for 50. Eastern Eyre now at a more comfortable 5/113.

Eastern Eyre were further helped towards their target by the batting of Turner and Shannan Larwood, they would get their side to nearly 20 runs needed for victory before Turner was run out for 20.

The visitors would lose just one more wicket, Dylan Jenner caught for one, before Larwood (30 n.o.) and Ethan Kwaterski (3 n.o.) would get Eastern Eyre past Far West's total in the 49th over with three wickets in hand.

For Far West Trowbridge topped the bowling with 2/31 off his 10 overs with three maidens while Wilkins took 2/33 off 10, special mention to wicket keeper Kloeden with one catch and two stumpings.

Eastern Eyre will play Port Lincoln in the Henderson Shield grand final, planned for February 13.